Chapter 27

Violet's POV

I tried opening my eyes but they wouldn't budge, everything was dark and leaden. All I could hear were voices that I could not figure out, who they belonged to or where I was. "Doctor, is she going to be alright?" It sounded like that it was my Mother, but I could not hear what the Doctor had to say. "She's been continuously getting a large dose of sedative, I'm afraid Ms. Violet will be unconscious for a long time." I really want to open my eyelids but I don't have enough strength in me. "Thank you so much for saving her Reed, and we're so sorry you had to cut your vacation short in France." Did Reed really come back to America, I thought he had 3 more days before his final return. "No problem Mrs. Emery, even though I have undying hatred towards your daughter but I couldn't let her be wrapped in the clutches of my own business." Was he that rude, I didn't remember him to be that way, is everything okay with him? Finally, with some will-power, I opened my eyes to take in the bright surroundings, "Mom? Sarah? Is that you?" Mom gasped in shock, "Violet! My child, are you alright? How do you feel?" There was a throbbing pain in my head that would not go away. "I'm a little better but I've seen good days." Sarah laughed, "Did you ever imagine yourself to be lying here, instead of your patients?" I chuckled, "I did but in different circumstances." A deadly silence enveloped everyone until Reed decided to break it, "Um, if you don't mind, can I have a word alone with Violet?" Mother looked at me uncomfortably but I nodded my head in reassurance. "Please don't overburden the patient with any unnecessary information that can cause mental strain," Sarah declared, with a frown on her face. "I'll keep that in mind," I could sense that Reed was trying really hard to keep his cool. 

After everyone walked out of the room, I felt him hug me, which startled me and I really wanted to push him away. "I'm sorry, but I'm really happy to see that you're okay." Everything came crashing down, "You know, you're a bad liar." He broke our brief moment, "Millions of people do businesses with me, do you think they'd believe me if I was a liar?" I laughed sarcastically, "You lie about everything that happens, you promised me that you'd give me a divorce, you promised me freedom but you broke everything, what would happen if I died because of your problems?" He sighed, "I am trying Violet but everything takes time Violet." I rolled my eyes, "6 months Reed, please, lets end something that isn't even there and doesn't exist." 

After I was discharged from the hospital, to my demise, Reed's driver, Charles, drove us both back to the apartment. There was deafening silence in the car except for the usual honking or screeching of the tires because of the unexpected brakes. Rain pattered against the glass window as I looked away from Reed the whole time; thinking about apologizing to Melanie and him for cutting their trip short because of me. We entered the lavish lobby of the apartment complex that was adorned with prosperous people like me, but I never considered myself to be one of them. Reed fumbled for the keys of the door as we both walked inside the spick and span room, I would thank the room service later today for taking care of the whole area. Reed opened the wine cabinet and helped himself to a glass of red Chateau Lafite 1787, his most prized possession that he kept talking about with Melanie. "I'm sorry," I barely whispered but it was enough for Reed to notice my discomfort. My cheeks burnt red with embarrassment because of this incident. He sat down on the lounge couch and turned on the television, "You were right in the hospital." I was alarmed, "About what?" He shifted to another channel, "That I'm a bad liar." My pupils dilated in surprise, was Reed Wilson finally agreeing to something that I had said. "I can't let you go Violet." There it was, all hopes and dreams were crushed to the ground, all forlorn dreams turned into ash. "But why Reed? You have Melanie, why do you need me?" He sipped slowly from his wine glass as he eyed me curiously. Obviously, he was trying to create a dramatic effect.

"You're too valuable to let go that easily."