Chapter 48

Violet's POV

I stirred in my sleep as soon as the bright yellow sunlight hit my eyes, wondering why my alarm did not go off as I did not feel lethargic anymore; with a sudden bout of realization, I jumped out of my bed to look at the alarm clock which showed the time as 10:30 am. I froze in my spot, did I just get late for work? But then after further research, I realized that it was a Saturday today so I was free from any hassle of getting up early in the morning which made me extremely joyous. After choosing my outfit for the day, showering and making my bed; I decided to go outside and make myself breakfast but as soon as I was about to put the bread slices in the toaster, I got a text from Troye saying that he wanted to meet up for brunch at 2 o clock. At that moment, I couldn't possibly think of anything else, let alone what Reed would think of me; an anti social bug, going around town but that was the least of my concerns. I texted in affirmative and decided to skip breakfast and freshen up a bit but the pang of hunger meant something else so I had an energy bar and a glass of milk; as soon as I was about to go back into my room, I heard Reed's door open and he came out all prepared and dressed. We made eye contact for nearly half a second before his phone rang and he picked up his car keys and walked outside. The housekeeping staff also came in early and the chef came in too, "Good morning madam! What would you like me to make today?" I was clueless as I would be going out for brunch and I didn't know when Reed would be home, "Can I just have a minute? I have to text my husband when he'll be home." The chef smiled, "Sure thing ma'am." 

I  clicked on Reed's number, my heart was pounding no matter how hard I tried to stop it, despite the fact that we were together for a whole year, it was sheer anxiety that drove me to insanity. He didn't pick up but on the last bell, "Hello Violet, is everything okay?" I responded, "Yeah everything's okay, the chef was asking what you wanted to eat for lunch." There was silence on the other side, "I won't be home until the night plus I'll be eating out today, don't you want him to make you anything?" 

"No, I am going out with a friend as well, there's nothing I want to eat, have a safe journey." I hung up and the chef waited for my response anxiously, "I guess there's no need for lunch today but you could prepare some salad for dinner." He nodded and started gathering the essential ingredients for the dinner as I went to freshen myself up for the brunch, I still had about 3 hours to kill so I decided to work a bit and then comb my hair and all the necessary other things that needed to be done. At 1:15, I locked the apartment and went to the ground floor as this time Troye wouldn't be able to pick me up as he had to reach the venue straight from his hospital shift as it was more efficient more him and that would save him a lot of time. Saturdays in New York are the only times of the year when people have time for things that truly matter; family, friends and lovers. Having a lover was the last thing on my bucket list; even as a child I thought that love was only found in places like cars, watches, electronics and brand new phones but those things were temporary and only led me to buy more but happiness never came. Now, I consider shopping as an unnecessary task that just drains your energy. It was almost 15 minutes to two but I was nowhere near the destination that Troye had texted me; which was an extremely expensive breakfast house but I couldn't say that I didn't like his suggestion so I decided to play along. Finally, at 2:15, I reached the venue and saw Troye playing Candy Crush on his face as his back was faced towards the window; I smiled to myself, he still had the jock inside of him. 

"I see you've found yourself an amazing hobby." Troye looked at me and I saw his wide smile, "Finally you're here! Hi, how are you?" I grinned in response, "I am great, thank you so much for inviting me, this is honestly way too much Troye, you've outdone yourself." Troye waved his hand nonchalantly, "Honestly, this is nothing Violet, we met after such a long time and you're the only person I know in this city, please have a seat." I furrowed my brows, "The only person you know in this city?" He tilted his head back and laughed, "The only person I've known in this city for 6 years." I chuckled in response, "I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one." Troye looked at me dead in the eyes, "You know Violet, I've met a lot of people in this city but we've never clicked, especially my last girlfriend, I-I just, anyways, how has your day been?"

"No Troye, you can talk about it, I'm your friend, I'm here for you." A sympathetic smile followed on his face after my statement, "I thought I had everything, Nicole, meant the world to me, these sports cars and other expensive things didn't make sense but after our breakup and her cheating on me, it didn't feel like I was complete, it all felt like trauma inserted in my veins." We paused our conversation as we had to order our food but what shook me to the core was that there was one person dressed in a black dress shirt and pants, eyeing me like one of those models, what perplexed me even more was that he was with another girl. I could have sworn that I saw this person before but since there was a distance between our seating, his figure was a bit hazy, "Hey Troye, I am going to the bathroom, I'll be back in a second." I purposely walked past their table and my heart stopped beating for a second, the person looking at me was no other than Reed himself, with Melanie.