Can I Sleep With You Tonight? : Tamaki Amajiki

Author's Note:

So this is the first time I'm writing for Tamaki Amajiki! I absolutely love, love love love this boy so much. I hope I got his character right. I decided to base his actions off some of my own, seeing as I experience and struggle with social anxiety myself.

Anyways, I hope you enjoy more fluff! Tell me if y'all are getting tired of it. I'm not super into writing angst but it might be fun to try! Just tell me what you think!!

-Sugar

☆☆☆

Tamaki started awake, his body jolting up to a sitting position in his bed. He'd been dreaming, and the shock of it had disturbed his sleep. He caught his breath, still wrapped in a blanket while he fought back trembles. Glancing at his bedside clock, he noticed it was a bit past three AM. He groaned to himself, thinking about his classes later that day and how he needed to get back to sleep so he wouldn't be tired.

He laid himself back down, his head sinking into his pillow, and shut his eyes, trying for sleep. It proved impossible, however; echoes of laughter danced in his head, making him start to shake again.

He racked his brain, trying to think of what he might be able to do to calm himself down. Immediately, he thought of you, your face appearing in his mind. Your bright smile, which reminded him of the sun, made him smile as well, his eyes still shut. But then the laughter started up again, your voice now joining theirs.

Tamaki sat up again. He couldn't go on like this. He needed to sleep. He could feel how tired he was. The only problem was that he couldn't shake his nightmare from his mind.

He let himself think about you again, remembering how you comforted him whenever he was anxious, how your gentle touch could bring him back to reality and soothe his mind. He hugged himself, trying to imagine it was your arms wrapping around him.

A new thought struck him. What if he went over to your room?

He almost instantly nixed it, thinking that you would be upset. Just because he was awake so early didn't mean you had to be. Besides, it was just a dream. You would think less of him, his brain told him. To be so upset over something as little as a dream . . . .

Tamaki laid himself down yet again, squeezing his eyes shut, willing for his mind to fall back into slumber. But he couldn't stop thinking about it, how everyone had been staring at him, his throat closing shut until he couldn't breathe or speak—

Tamaki steeled his nerves to the best of his ability. He stood beside his bed, lingering for a moment before grabbing his blanket and wrapping it around himself. The warmth was comforting to him, and it helped him to silently make his way to the door out of his room.

He quietly crept into the hallway. It was dimly lit for the night, so he was able to make it to your door relatively easily. Luckily your dorm room was in the same hallway as his, so he didn't have to risk taking the elevator.

Tamaki stopped outside your door, reading and rereading your name posted at the side of its frame to make sure he wasn't going crazy and knocked on the wrong person's door. Now he was just standing there like he had no idea what to do. He chewed on his lip, raising his fist to knock on your door.

He lowered it again quickly. Maybe this was a bad idea. You probably didn't want to see him right now. He turned to walk back to his room but then stopped after a few steps. No. He'd made it this far. He wouldn't get anywhere just going back to his room.

He came back and raised his hand once again. Then his anxiety began to take over, once again. His stomach clenched and his brain went fuzzy with fear. His raised fist started trembling, softly landing against the door without a sound. He stood there with his hand pressed against the door, frozen for a minute.

He squeezed his eyes shut again. He was going to do this. Tamaki reminded himself how kind you were, how gentle, how often you told him you loved him. He smiled to himself at a new thought. Even if you were mad at him, you were too nice to really do anything.

He moved his hand against your door, softly knocking.

☆☆☆

You were enveloped in darkness, your mind peacefully swirling as the concept of nothingness truly dawned upon your being. You were at peace, softly sleeping until a knock at your door jarred you from your repose.

You cracked open your eyes, blinking into a new darkness, this one gently illuminated by an alarm clock on your bedside table, which read 3:27 AM. You sighed, rubbing your hands over your face and turned over. Silence blanketed the room once again, and you began to wonder if you really had heard anything in the first place when the knocking came again.

This time you sat up, grumbling to yourself as you threw off your blanket. Who could possibly want you at this hour? They better have a darn good reason.

You stumbled over to the door, unlocking it with a click and cracking it open. A figure stood in the dimly lit hallway, hunched over and wrapped in a blanket. It took a moment for your eyes to adjust and your brain to catch up, but you quickly recognized the bowed form as your boyfriend.

"Tamaki?" you whispered, sleep tainting your voice. "What are you doing here?" You didn't even try to suppress your yawn.

He shifted his weight, beginning to fidget with his fingers. "I, um, wanted to see you."

You stared at him. "Right now? You couldn't wait until breakfast?"

You couldn't see his face, but something told you you had made him a bit upset. "I can go. I'm sorry I woke you up." He started to back away, but now you were beginning to realize how rude you were being.

"No, Tama, I'm sorry. Here, come on, I'm already awake anyway."

He froze, standing a couple steps from your doorway, trying to decide whether or not he should accept your invitation. You opened the door wider, standing to the side as you motioned with your arm for him to enter. Tamaki finally stepped forward, entering your room, allowing you to shut your door behind him. Your back was turned to him while you locked it and you suddenly felt arms wrap around your waist from behind.

You started a bit at first, not expecting the contact, but soon enough melted back into your boyfriend. "So why did you come to me?" you asked, your voice low.

Tamaki squeezed you tighter, burying his nose into the crook of your neck. "I . . . had a bad dream."

You let out a breath, a soft smile appearing on your features. So that was it. You turned yourself around to hug him back, inserting your arms under his blanket he had wrapped around his shoulders like a cape. "You're safe now," you cooed. "It can't hurt you. Do you want to talk about it?"

Tamaki swallowed. "I-I had to give a speech in front of the whole school. And then all of a sudden, my voice just stopped working. It was like I was sick and I couldn't say anything. And then everyone started laughing at me because I was just standing there. It was horrible." His voice shook as he spoke, conveying how upset he was.

You tightened your embrace around him, mulling over what he'd said in your mind. "That does sound pretty bad. So did you want to sleep with me tonight?"

You felt him nod.

"Alright. Let's get you in bed." You kept your voice low and soothing, trying to keep him as calm as he could be after his dream. You walked him over to your bed, letting him lay down. You fixed the blankets so the one he had brought could be on top and got under with him. He rolled to his side, facing away from you allowing you to spoon him, intertwining your legs with his as you rested your head in the crook of his neck. You allowed your hands to wander up and down his torso, stroking his arm gently while you whispered into his oddly pointed ear.

"You're alright now, Tamaki. I've got you." You kissed the tip of his ear. "You don't have anything to worry about."

You felt his breaths begin to even out, contrasting the shallow, hitching respirations he normally took while he was awake. Your bodies were warm, pressed against each other. The combination of the darkness and warmth, followed by your boyfriend's steady heartbeat, made your eyelids grow even heavier than they were before. You allowed your whispers to trail off into gentle hums, before they stopped entirely.

The two of you slept peacefully, your minds floating together in the sea of dark nothingness that is sleep.