Chapter 51: Koga and Janine

Here it is! Finally, the Gym Challenge chapter!

Question of the day: What is your favorite Ash's Kanto gym battle?

Disclaimer: I don't own Pokémon.
—————————————————————
After three days of traveling from Dark City, the group had finally reached Fuchsia City. Unlike the other cities the group had been to so far, Fuchsia City seemed to be heavily influenced by Japanese culture. All of the buildings were in the classic Japanese style. Aside from being home to Ash's next gym battle and Serena's Battle Tree challenge.

"Fuchsia City!" Elaine exclaimed.

"It has some of the cleanest air out of all of the cities in Kanto!" Misty said as she took in a huge whiff.

"This city doesn't use any cars at all. People also use more bicycles or walking for travel here. The reason why this city has such a healthy lifestyle is because of the Safari Zone here," Brock explained.

"So they need to keep the place clean so it's healthy for all of the Pokemon here," Ash stated.

"Right," Brock confirmed with a nod.

"We still have time time, so why don't we go to the Pokémon Centre and challenge the Gym Leader," Misty suggested.

"Fine with me," Richie said and Sparky nodded.

"Ohhhhh! I can't wait!" Ash uttered.

"You sure are eager Ash," Misty commented with a smile.

"Of course! This will be my first gym battle since Saffron City. I've done a lot of training with my Pokemon since then so I want to prove that it's paid off!" Ash replied.
———————————————————————
"Hello, Nurse Joy. We are just here to have our Pokemon checked out," Serena said as she, Ash, Elaine and Richie approached the desk.

"Certainly," Nurse Joy replied as she took Eevee, two Pikachu and the rest of their pokeballs. She then handed them to Chansey who moved them in to the backroom on a table.

"While we're here, Nurse Joy, I was wondering if you could tell me how strong Koga is. I heard trainers avoid challenging him," Richie asked her.

"Oh, he is pretty strong. Many trainers go to the minor gym just so they don't get wreck. No wonder he was chosen to be the member of Johto Elite Four," Nurse Joy explained.

"Oh man. I couldn't even beat Sabrina. I really should be careful here," Ash said with a crossed arm.

"Well, Koga has said that Sabrina is the strongest opponent he ever faced," Elaine pointed out.

"Oh and Koga is well trained in the ways of a ninja. He also currently training his daughter. After all, she will take over the gym," Nurse Joy stated.

"So which Pokemon do you think you are going to use, Ash?" Serena asked him.

"It's a tough decision. Pidgeotto and Pikachu would be an effective Pokemon to use, but I really want to use some of my newer Pokemon. Primeape is another strong Pokémon I never used at Gym Challenge, but I used it at the fighting dojo which is a pseudo gym. I used Muk and Krabby once at Erika. I had never used Hitmonlee and Haunter: they have neither an advantage or disadvantage so I can use them depending on how many Pokemon the gym leader wants to use," Ash said as he touched his chin.

"He normally uses three Pokémon and I don't think Hitmonlee is a right choice," Brock said.

"I know, but I want to use it," Ash said sheepishly. "If he then uses three Pokémon, I might use Muk."
———————————————————————
It was an hour later and the group had decided  to start things off with Ash's and Richie's Gym Challenge at Fuchsia City. After losing to Sabrina, Ash was determined to win this gym battle. He trained his Pokemon extra hard this past month and was about to see the results. While he doubted the Fuchsia City gym leader was as cold and emotionless as Sabrina, if worse came to worse, he would make sure to forfeit the match before there were any severe injuries. Koga is the trainer who shouldn't be messed with.