slow dancing in the rain

The couch cushion next to you dipped a little as Calum sat beside you.

You continued to stare out the window. You were a little sad since you and Calum made plans to go on a picnic and a small hike today, but there was an unexpected storm coming and it hit just as you planned to go out.

"Why are you so quiet and sad, hm?" Calum asked as he rubbed your back. You shrugged but you also knew that he knew why you were so down. "I know you wanted to go out today but we can do it tomorrow, alright?" He whispered as he moved closer and kissed the back of your neck a few times.

"I guess I was just really looking forward to it."

He rested his chin on your shoulder. "Wanna do something really romantic?" He wondered.

He definitely had your attention.

You turned your head to look at him, a tiny smile crossing your face. "And what would that be?" He kissed your forehead and stood up. "Take my hand and you'll find out."

You didn't even hesitate. You took his hand and he brought it to his lips for a kiss before dropping it by his side while intertwined with his own.

He led you outside and with his free hand, he pulled his phone from his pocket. As sad as you were about the rain ruining your day out with Calum, you surely did love the sound of it falling against the roof.

You heard 'at last' start to play. He started to walk back off the porch and pulled you along with him. "Cal, what are we doing?" You chuckled. "Shh. Don't ask questions, just trust me."

You were about to whine about your clothes soaking through from the rain, but when he stopped walking and pulled you so close to him that you could feel his heartbeat through his shirt, you let it go.

He wrapped his arms around you and you instinctively laid your head on his shoulder. The smell of his cologne filled your senses. Your chest pressed against his, his chin dropped to your head and he started to kiss across it.

The sadness you had felt earlier seemed so unimportant now; all that mattered was being in this moment with him. He slowly swayed back and forth and he started to sing along to the song, his voice so smooth in your ear.

"Cal?"

"Yes, y/n?"

You lifted your head to gaze up at him. His eyes were bright as they looked into your own. "This is the sweetest thing anyone has ever done for me."

"Yeah? So, it's better than a picnic?" He teased, the smile remaining on his lips even as you pressed your own against them. "Way better." You said as your arms wrapped around his neck and hi9s forehead fell to yours. "Love you. You're the only one I'd ever do this with, y/n."

You laughed and pecked his lips again and again. "I know, I'm the luckiest girl in the world. I love you too." He closed his eyes and hummed along to the song as it played continuously, allowing for you and him to stay in this moment for as long as you both pleased, and you could tell by the look in his eyes and the soft beating of his heart that he wasn't gonna let you go anytime soon.