[RQ] Replacement? - Part 1 (Batsis)

Another for CharmerMaster; this is a different storyline, but Batsis has a similar origin.

"I'll take her," was Bruce's immediate response to the phone call he received from the orphanage. Dick cringed in response.

"Do you really think it's best if you adopt another kid?"

The man hung up his phone, "She's the last of them, Dick. Those kids—the ones who were trafficked and sent away. Her entire world is gone. What other choice do I have?"

"I feel bad for her, too, but...you know what happened with—"

"Stop. I know."

Dick's eyes softened, and he replied quietly, "You'll have to say his name at some point, Bruce."

"Not today," he left the room hastily.

The younger of the two sighed before glancing over to his brother's suit. Him and Bruce managed to gather all the pieces and make it look pristine again; not even that could allow them to forget what he looked like on that day. He walked over and stood in front of it.

"Hey, Jason. It's been a while, huh? I, um, I got you something the other day...Guess I sorta forgot...in a way—anyway, I'm sure you would've liked it. It's a little keychain with a red motorcycle on it. So, yeah! And, uh, if you're listening, you probably heard everything that happened a few minutes ago. Bruce is adopting another kid. Whoop-dee-do. I mean, I'm sure she'll be nice and all, but what if Bruce wants another Robin? I don't want that for her. She deserves better—a normal life, or something, just not that," the corner of his mouth lifted a little, "I wonder if she'll be like you, Jay. If only we were related by blood...it'd be nice to have one last living trace of you in this world. Although, maybe being different from you wouldn't be such a bad thing—you were always a bit of a hassle," Dick huffed a laugh, "That's a joke."

A month or so later, as he was driving down to the manor once again, he smirked and raised an eyebrow at himself, remembering the conversation.

Oh, yeah, she's not like you at all, he thought.

It had been a few weeks since (Y/N) was finally adopted; the government required some tests and interrogations from her because of her past with the orphanage. They were also a bit unconvinced because of what happened with Jason only 11 months prior.

Currently, it was the ending of March, beginning of April. At this time of day, (Y/N) would be away at school, so Dick waited patiently on the manor's couch.

"Hello, Master Dick," Alfred waltzed into the room.

"Hey, Alfred. Good to see you," he smiled.

"It's good to see you, too. How have you been?"

"I'm okay," he unconvincingly stretched the last word, "It's just...getting around to that time."

"Master Jason?"

"Yeah."

The two lived in silence for a moment, but Alfred spoke up again.

"You cannot blame his death on yourself. That's what you and Master Bruce have in common, but it wasn't anyone's fault other than the Joker's."

"I miss him," Dick looked towards the ceiling.

The butler was just about to say something before they heard a tiny voice from the door, "Miss who?"

There stood (Y/N), looking utterly confused. Dick pushed himself up from the couch, a bit startled.

"Hey, Little Birdie. It's nothing, really. How was school?"