21 Days - Part 1 (Tim & Others)

AU where Nightwing and Red Hood are around for the flashback events of Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker.

"Joker's been causing trouble again," Barbara said as she walked into the Batcave.

"I see that," Bruce replied, reviewing footage of the crime scene.

At that point, Dick entered, "So, what are we gonna do about it?"

"We take him down."

Jason threw out his hand, "And then what? We can't fight him forever! And the asylum seems like a great idea, but apparently no one is competent enough to keep that fucking mad man from escaping."

"We can take him," Tim interjected, "You've done it before. Can't be that hard to do it again, we just gotta be careful."

The young man stared him down, "It's more than just 'being careful'."

Everyone in the cave could see Jason's demeanor begin to change, and the air grew tense.

"Jason—" Dick tried.

"Do you have any idea what happened to me?" he stood in front of the young teen, chest to chest.

"I-I mean, I have a vague idea, but—"

"That clown is a cold-hearted, emotionless, insane murderer. He will destroy you without even thinking! You're sure you can take him, huh? Well let me tell you, you can't!"

"Jason, stop," Barbara pulled Tim away from him, "He didn't know."

He furrowed his eyebrows, "What don't I know?"

Jason looked towards the woman and narrowed his eyes as she answered, "Just some bad stuff from the past. You don't need to worry about it."

Tim shrugged her off, "Actually, I do. I might be a kid, but I'm part of this team, too! Any information you guys know, I should know as well. Plus, I would be able to protect myself better if I know what he's capable of."

"Tim," Bruce started, "It isn't just information. It's the story of someone's life."

"Or someone's death, rather," Jason commented in a snarky tone.

He ignored his son, "The point is that if Jason doesn't want to tell you, he doesn't have to. All you need to know is that the Joker is not someone to be reckoned with."

Tim glared, "Fine. But one way or another, I'm going find out on my own."

He stormed out and headed for the manor, and Dick raised his eyebrows.

"Y'know, he kinda reminds me of you."

"I know," Bruce sighed.

The next day, Bruce allowed Tim to take his own patrol route. What with the Joker around, he made sure his rules were clear; do not go searching for the Joker. If Tim spotted him, he was to go straight to Batman. The teen nodded in acknowledgment, but the Batfamily knew better than to believe everything they were told. Thus, with doubts, they watched as Tim traveled across town and out of sight. That was the last time they saw him—or at least, that version of him.

Batman returned to the cave, announcing that there was no sign of the Joker. The family discussed where he could be for an hour or so, but things seemed off. There was no teenage voice pitching in his two cents that were always more helpful than they should be, especially for his age. They waited until the sun began to rise, yawning and dozing off.