my life

7 years later...

"Honey can you please go make sure Jake is ready? We're going to be late." I sighed, zipping up Jake's lunchbox, panicking to get it in his backpack on time.
"Mommmm I don't wanna go to school"
"Tough luck. Go get in the car I'll be there in a second."
"Ughhhh" He pouted, throwing a tantrum on the way out the front door.
"Happy Birthday beautiful." My husband's arms wrapped around my body, kissing my neck and sending chills down my spine.
"Thank you babe." I blushed.
"I have a surprise for you after we drop Jake off."
"Oooh a surprise?" I smirked. "I can't wait. Let's get this hellion to school first."
We walked out to the car, and I sat in the passenger seat.
We made our way through the carpool lane, our car now first in line.
"Have a great day honey, I love you"
"Bye mom!"
I smiled, waving at him as he walked into school.

The car ride to my 'surprise' was silent, but a comfortable silence.
"Oh, by the way, your brother is picking up Jake and CJ from school and he's staying at his house tonight so we can have some alone time."
"Alone time? I don't even know if I know what that is anymore." I laughed. "That sounds amazing."
"I thought maybe we could order food from your favorite, get some champagne and then after the drinks maybe I can get lucky tonight?"
"Mm. My favorite. And we'll see about that."
He parked the car outside of my favorite breakfast diner, walking around and opening my door and we walked hand in hand inside.
We ordered our food and drinks quickly since we came here often and already knew what we wanted.
While we waited, we talked about some things I really didn't want to talk about.
"So.... Jaden is back in town."
"I know, Bryce. Collin said he called him the other day when Jake was there wanting to talk to him."
"What are you going to do?"
"What should I do?"
"Y/N, this is a decision I can't make for you."
"It's just, he abandoned his child before he was even born and now seven years later he wants to come back in his life? How is that fair? But at the same time I want Jake to know who his dad is. I know deep down he could be a great father but the last seven years hasn't exactly proved that. I just... I don't want to see him."
"Baby, that's inevitable. He's the father of your child, you had to think he'd come back some day wanting to be in his life."
"That's the thing though. He didn't even know if Jake was a boy or girl before he left. I'm assuming he found out through someone who was keeping tabs on me but still, Bryce, I don't know if I can face him."
"What are you afraid of?"
I took a deep breath, thinking about my response long and hard.
"Jesus, Y/N, please tell me it's not what I'm thinking."
"Bryce, baby. He was my first love. Of course I'm always going to have love for him, I mean god I have a child with him. It's hard to face when it doesn't work out like you thought it would. But I love you, and we have an amazing life together that I wouldn't trade for anything."
He placed his hands on my shaky hands.
"I know. This isn't going to be easy for any of us, considering the circumstances but we will get through it together."
"And that's why I love you."
I reached up and pecked his lips.