2

My shift at the library ends at around 6:30.
I yawn, considering I'm going off of zero sleep but I have no one to blame but myself.
I browse through the returns and rescan all of them in before shutting down the computers.
I disinfect the keyboards and stack the chairs.
Mr Charles walks in as I clean the windows and I nod my head to him.
I consider him family after all I've known him since elementary school.

He's a nice old man in his late sixties . He doesn't talk a lot but When he does it's full of wisdom for the most part.
He's a fairly large man to be so old but his big bushy white beard and wrinkles kinda gives it away.
He kinda reminds me of Santa.

He brings me baked goods when he visits.

'He hands me a loaf of sweet bread as well as some Jam and leans on the counter so he can walk me home like we've done since I got this job.
     He likes to make sure I am safe .
"Thank you " I say to him . He makes his jam at home , his wife use to make and sell it but she passed a few years back so now he just makes it for himself an I occasionally.
He grunts and nods his head.
I twisted one of my more prominent curls and cleared my throat to catch his attention.

" I have to leave town soon " I whisper to him .

He tilts his head in question.

"I was accepted into that college that I told you about " I beam at him feeling very accomplished.

His eyebrows shoot up in excitement and he opens is arms to congratulate me as a smile graced his old face.
He smells like warm bread and peaches ,I lean into the old mans hug.   Yep just like Santa .
"When do u leave " he rumbled

"In about a month or two " I say as I back away and smile.

I notice his eyes have slightly misted.
"You know you've grown up so fast kid ,I consider you and your mother family, you were there the day Darla passed" "Darla loved you girls " he paused to smile at his wife's memory. " you are my grandkid blood or not, and I know your father would have been so proud to see you now ." He finished.
I try and hold back my tears and I smile
" You think so " I whisper.
" I know so kid " I sniffled and took a deep breath.
" Come on then old man I gotta break the news to my mom" I sigh.
" But um .... tomorrow will you go with me so I can tell dad ." I look up at him "mom has to work , and I don't wanna go alone " he nods his head in response and takes my bag.
As we walk I tell him about the Stanford and how I'm nervous to be leaving true it's only a couple states over but if my mom doesn't even have time to have dinner with me what are the odds she's gonna visit .
I get to my front gate while mr Charles continues to keep walking, I wave at him and tell him that I'll see him tomorrow.
I skate my way through the gated community.
You can only hear the sounds of the ponds and the crickets other then that it's silent.
I like it like that .
I make it to my front door and unlock it only to hear laughter .
" Hello ? "
I say
" In here Aja " my mother's voice calls .

I round the wall to see my mother in sweats with a glass of wine in her hand .
As well as her friend Matthew.

"So ... um ". What the hell is going on.
     I think to myself.

"Aja I've decided to take a few weeks off from work " my mother smiles at me

    " Um since when "  I ask .  She literally hasn't taken a day off since my father died, and even after the funeral she was on some call .

      "I mean since yesterday I guess "  she responded.
The confusion is still clear  on my face  "Aja I've been working my ass off since you were eight years old I deserve some kind of break right "  she laughed.
As she looks at Matthew and takes another sip of wine .
      I pushed up my glasses and just nodded my head and smiled at her .
  "Well then I do have something to tell you " I quickly get out .
       She's laughing with Matthew and says we can talk about it later .
       I shrug and ask myself why I even try .
  I get on my laptop and search for apartments or townhouses near the campus.
            My eye lands on a loft for sale above a book store.
       I laugh at the convenience and email the owner .

Dear miss Darwin my name is Aja Quinn, I am very much interested in the loft apartment that is above your book shop.
   I am a single tenant and going to school on the campus near by .
      If I could have additional information maybe even a tour in the next month or so I would really appreciate the information  please contact me at this email for confirmation .
                                                    Thank you

I lean away  from my computer and put on Spotify to finish my drawing.
    A knock on the door startles me but I yell come in .
Matthew peaks his head in and says dinner is ready .
   I tilt me head at him and pause my music.
  "Matthew what the hell do you want with my mother " I push him .
     "You show up all of a sudden and my mother wants to take a break from work and she's laughing and smiling " I raise me eyebrow.
        "I know your more then just friends or Business partners or what ever you u wanna call yourself "
     I pause to see his reaction. His face stays blank but his eyes say worried. 
"But if you brake my mother's heart you will regret it she's a great person and has been alone for a long time so make your decisions wisely ."
   His shoulders slump and he released a heavy breath .
      " she said her daughter was intense I'm glad I have your blessing to date your mom though "  he chucked
I hum in response and walk to the door .
      "Just don't screw it up " I tell him .

I walk to my mother and place a hand on her shoulder.
      " Mom ". I smile at her and hand her the acceptance letter .
      She looks at it and reads it .
Tears start to fall from her eyes as she smiles .
  She give me a hug and kisses me on the four head
"Look Aja I know I haven't been around much but I'm so proud of you baby girl " she sniffles .

     I have dinner with my mom and it feels oddly normal.
    Like we've had dinner a million times even tho this is the first time in ages.

I'm gonna miss her but it's not forever and when I graduate she'll have a daughter to be proud of.

. . .