🌻5🌻

"Anne...Harry has a bad chest infection. We want to keep him in a while. His lungs are full of mucus and he's having trouble shifting it. We've put him on antibiotics and he has a oxygen mask.  It looks scary, but it's for the best."  The Doctor told her as Anne stared down at the helpless baby.

"How long?" She asked quietly.

"Can't say for sure. At least two or three days though. You can stay here if you want. We can make up a bed for you." The Doctor was very kind and friendly. It made her feel more at ease.

"Thank you."

🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻

"Happy Christmas!" Jay said as she woke up next to her husband, Mark.

"Happy Christmas love. Better get up. Surprised Louis hasn't woken us up yet." He laughed.

"Still early. I'll go check on him." Jay replied, getting out of bed and putting her dressing gown on.

She walked into her sons bedroom to find him sitting up in his bed cuddling his Teddy.

"Good morning Sunshine! Happy Christmas." She smiled and picked Louis up, giving him the biggest hug imaginable.

Louis giggled.

"Eww think someones done a stinky. Let's get you changed." She said, taking him to the changing table.

Once he was clean and dressed, she carried him downstairs, finding Mark making tea in the kitchen.

"Ahh here he is. My boy. Give Daddy a kiss?" He held his arms out and Jay passed Louis over. He gave Mark a slobbery kiss. "mmm lovely." He laughed. "Teas made. How about we get these presents opened?"

🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻

Anne sat next to Harry's bed. She doesn't think she's stopped crying since they've been here. This was her fault. The mouldy walls and coldness from having little heating has made her baby sick.

She's feeling so guilty.

Nurses come and go. Checking not only Harry, but Anne too.

Despite all the people who pass through the room, she feels so alone.

🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻

It was noon, and Jay had just got off the phone to Tricia. She had called all her friends wishing them a happy Christmas. Anne was next.

The phone rang and rang. No answer. So Jay sent a text. She assumed that her and Harry were either having a nap, busy with presents, or having lunch. So she thought no more of it.

Two hours later, she still hadn't heard from Anne, so she called again.

And again there was no answer.

"I'm worried Mark." Jay said as she sat next to her husband watching the wizard of Oz while Louis napped.

"I'm sure they're ok love." He replied, hugging her.

"I'm not so sure. Harry's been poorly. What if he's got worse? I have to go and check." She said as she got up to put her coat and shoes on. "I'll be back soon."

She left the house and walked up the road. Anne living around the corner.

She walked up to the front door and knocked. She waited, but there was no answer. She looked through the front window, but the curtains were closed.

Jay's heart beat faster, she knew something was wrong.

She knocked again, louder this time.

A door to the house next door opened.

"Hi. Um. Are you a friend of Anne's?" A woman asked.

"Yes I am. I'm worried about her. She's not answering my calls.

"There was an ambulance there this morning. The lights woke us up. Think her little boy was taken ill. " the woman said.

"Oh my god. Thank you. Thank you." Jay said as she ran back home.

She crashed in the front door making Mark jump.

"Christ Jay, what's up?" He asked as he rushed to her.

"Harry's sick. The neighbour said he was taken in an ambulance this morning. Oh God Mark. It must be serious!" She was crying.

"Love calm down please." He said hugging her.

"I need to know he's ok."

"But if you can't get hold of Anne, you can't know. Just wait, I'm sure she'll call you when she can."

Jay nodded, though she thought she might just go to the hospital.

"Should I tell the girls?" She asked.

"Maybe not." He replied simply. And thinking about it, Jay knew he was right.

🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻

At 5pm Anne was told to go and eat. She was reluctant, not wanting to leave Harry for one minute. But...she was extremely hungry and feeling faint through not eating all day. So she gave in.

For the first time that day, she took her phone from her bag. She switched it on and immediately saw a list of missed calls and texts.

She looked through them. Most of them were from Jay.

She pulled up her number and pressed call.

After one ring it was answered.

"Oh my God Anne.  I've been so worried. Is Harry ok?" Jay nearly yelled at her.

Anne sat down on a chair and sighed, wiping fresh tears away.

"No. I..I'm sorry. I meant to call...B-but...Harry...he's got a bad chest infection. He-he's on an oxygen mask and antibiotics. He might be here a...a couple days."

"Oh Anne love. I'm so sorry. Is there anything I can do? Shall I come down?"

"I..I think I'm ok. Just hungry. They forced me to go and get something to eat."

"Have you eaten yet? Please tell me you ate before you called me?"

"Um...no. I'll go in a minute."

"Make sure you do. Can't  have you both ill. " she warned.

" I will. I need to go now. Sorry."

"Don't be sorry. But...please let me know how he's doing?"

"I promise. Sorry I worried you so much. On Christmas day too."

"It's ok. Just get that beautiful boy of yours home soon. You take care love."

"Thank you. Love you."

"Love you too."

The call ended and Anne headed to the cafe, amazed to find it open. She bought a sandwich and a coffee and headed back to Harry's room.

The rest of the day went slowly for Anne. A bed had been made up in Harry's room for her, and by 9pm she was so exhausted that she fell asleep.

It wasn't Harry's first Christmas that she had hoped for. Next year will be a special one for sure.