🌻6🌻

The following morning, Anne was woken up early by a Doctor checking Harry.

"Sorry to wake you." She said quietly.

"It's ok." Anne replied, rubbing her eyes and getting out of the makeshift bed. "Is he better?"

"A little. His chest sounds better. Did you sleep ok? Those beds aren't very comfortable."

"Not really. I had to keep checking that he was ok." She said as she looked at her baby who was still sleeping.

"So...he can't go home today?"

"Afraid not. With an infection like this, and with him being so young, it's best to keep him in for a while."

"Ok."

"Is there no other family that can watch him while you take a break?" The Doctor asked.

Anne shook her head. "There's nobody. Just us two." She whispered, feeling ashamed.

"A close friend, maybe?"

"There's my friend Jay. But...her little boy has just turned two and it's Christmas. I won't bother them."

Jay probably would have come in, but Anne wasn't going to spoil their Christmas too.

"Why don't you get something to eat. Take a break. The nurses will be here." The Doctor was so lovely. Anne liked her a lot.

"I guess I could. They'll let me know if he wakes up or anything?"

"Of course they will."

🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻

Anne sat in the cafe sipping on a cup of coffee, a plate of egg, beans and toast in front of her.

Her finger hovered over Jay's name on her phone. She pondered whether to call her or not, not wanting to disturb her.

She was just about to touch the screen, when Jay's name flashed up and it started ringing. Anne answered immediately.

"Hi Jay."

"Hi Anne. How are you? How's Harry doing?"

"The Doctor says he's a little better, which is good."

"That is good news. And how are you? Did you sleep?"

"Not much. I was too worried....you know?"

"I'm sure you were. Would you like me to come there for a bit? Some company might do you good."

Anne smiled. "Only if you don't mind. I don't want to spoil another day for you."

"Enough of that talk young lady. I spoke to Mark and even he thinks it's a good idea. Louis will have a great time with just his Dad."

"Ok then. I'm just having some breakfast. I can meet you outside in an hour if that's ok?"

"Perfect. I'll see you soon. Bye love."

Anne ended the call, and ate her food, wanting to get back to Harry as soon as possible.

🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻

An hour later Jay arrived at the hospital, finding Anne just outside the main entrance.

They hugged and went up to Harry's room.

"Hi Anne. Just finished his checks. He's breathing easier now. The Doctor thinks he can come off of the oxygen mask soon." The nurse said.

"Thank God.  Thank you." She replied. The nurse smiled and left the two friends alone with Harry.

Jay walked to the bed and saw the little boy laying still with wires all over him.

"Oh Anne. He looks so small."

"Well...he is. This is all my fault." Anne said, slumping down in a chair, trying to hide her tears.

Jay sat beside her and took her hand. "Your fault? How?"

Anne sniffed. "The flat. It's covered in mould and freezing cold. I thought it would be a nice little home for us, but then the mould grew." She sobbed.

Jay pulled her closer and rubbed her back. "You didn't know love. I bet that place was covered in mould before they cleaned it off.  You can't blame yourself. Plus it might not be due to that."

Anne couldn't help but blame herself though. That's all she ever did.

Suddenly they heard a tiny cry. Anne stood up and rushed quickly to Harry's bed. He was wriggling a bit and trying to pull the mask off of his face. Jay pressed the call button while Anne tried to comfort him.

He coughed a bit as Anne picked him up carefully.

A nurse came in. "He's awake. That's a good sign. Can I take a look at him?" She asked. Anne nodded and put him back on the bed.

"Mu..." *cough cough* "Mummaaa." Harry cried as his chest was checked.
*cough cough cough*

He brought up a bit of phlegm, making him gag and cry more. He just wanted his Mummy.

The nurse cleaned him up and handed him to Anne. She held him tight, tears falling down her cheeks. "It's ok my baby. Mummy's here. You're ok now." She whispered as she stroked his cheek.

"I'll get the Doctor to check him over. I'll be right back." She said, smiling.

"It's good that he's awake now. I bet he's missed you." Jay said, choking back her own tears.

Harry was still coughing. It didn't sound as bad as it had before though, not so chesty.

The Doctor checked Harry. The infection had cleared a bit, but was still there. He would have to stay in at least one more day.

Anne prayed it would be the last so they could leave, but was also worried about going back to the flat.

"I have an idea." Jay said. Anne looked up at her, still cuddling Harry as he fell back to sleep.

"How about...if me and the girls go to your place and get rid of the mould while you're here?"

"You...you can't do that. There's so much. And it's the holidays."

"But there'll be 4 of us. We'll get it done in no time. But...you need to get on to the council. You can't stay there if Harry might get sick again. I can help you contact them?"

Anne nodded. "Ok. Only if you're sure they'll help. Thank you."

"I'm sure they will."

When Jay got home, she called her friends, who all agreed to help out.

Anne is lucky to have such amazing friends.