🌻18🌻

Anne woke up at 6am. She got out of bed and opened her curtains. It was still dark, but she could see that it had snowed overnight. A white Christmas.

She closed the curtains again and walked out into Harry's bedroom.

He was still sleeping, his thumb in his mouth and his Teddy tucked under his arm.

She left the room and headed downstairs. She made a mug of tea and two slices of toast with strawberry jam on top and sat at the kitchen table.

She could hear the children next door squealing as they ran down their stairs, Anne smiled. That's what she wanted Harry to do. Maybe, in a couple of years he would. Time will tell.

At 8am, after she had washed up, she could hear shuffling through the baby monitor, so she went up to his room.

Harry was sitting up rubbing his eyes. When he saw his Mummy, a big tired grin took over his face, his arms held up.

Anne picked him up. "Hello my darling. Did you sleep well?" She asked. Harry placed his head on her chest.

"Let's get some brekkie then see what Santa has bought you."

🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻

Harry was sat in the middle of a pile of torn wrapping paper on the floor with Anne.

They were both giggling as Anne threw tiny bits of paper over his head.

Anne had spent quite a bit on Harry's presents. The proof reading had earned her enough for them to have a good Christmas. She had also bought presents for her friends and their boys.

Her phone pinged a few times, messages from her friends wishing them a happy Christmas. She sent texts back wishing them the same.

"We gotta get dressed baby. Gonna spend the day with Lou Lou, Jay and Mark." She said. She was worried about going. She thought they'd prefer it if they weren't there.

But she had promised to go.

🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻

"Happy Christmas love. Come in." Jay said as she let Anne and Harry in. The snow was thicker outside now, so Anne had to leave his pushchair at home. Harry was in one arm, the other hand held presents and his changing bag was over her shoulder.

"Here let me take those bags." Mark said.

"Thank you. Thought my arms were gonna drop off." Anne laughed.

"Hey Louis.  Happy Christmas!" Anne said as Louis wrapped his arms around her legs.

"Appy kissmess." He replied. "Hawwy pway."

"Sure." They went into the living room and she sat Harry on the floor to play with his presents.

"Show me to the veggies." Anne said as she and Jay went into the kitchen, leaving the boys with Mark.

"Help yourself. You know you don't have to help  you're our guests."

"Yes but I can't just sit and watch you do all the work." Anne replied as she started peeling carrots.

"So. What time did Harry get you up?"

"Oh I didn't hear him til around 8. I've been up since 6. Couldn't sleep."

"Louis woke at 7. He was more excited to see the snow than the presents though." Jay laughed. "What did Harry make of the snow?"

"Well..he definitely thought it was cold. Could feel him shivering through his coat. Other than that, he didn't take much notice."