39.

t h i r t y - n i n e

September of that year, Taehyun had a fight with his family. Mainly because of how his grades were dropping, and his tests scores were lower than it was before. But the annoying part? It didn't even drop a lot, maybe from A+ to A, that was all that changed- yet they acted as if it could ruin Taehyun's life.

He walks out of their house to get some fresh air and clear up his stressed mind, yet he didn't feel a single bit of better. Taehyun knew what he needed to calm down.

He needs Beomgyu.

Dialing his number from his phone, he then places the phone over his ear, "Hello, Beommie?" He greeted as soon as the older one answered his phone call.

"Yes, Taehyunnie? Do you need something?" Asked Beomgyu from the other side of the call, he sounded as if he was in a hurry.

"C-can we meet?" Taehyun stutters, tears daring to fall from his eyes.

A few seconds passed before Beomgyu responded to his question, "Oh... Tae, I'm sorry. I'm very busy right now, can we meet some other time? I'm really really sorry."

Taehyun purses his lips together, 'you're always busy...'

"Okay, Beom- " Before he could even finish his sentence, the little one already ended the call. This made Taehyun sigh, he walks towards the playground, and sits on one of the swings. As he pushes himself forward and backward, a little creaking sound echoing as he goes, Taehyun looks up the starry sky.

"What's so important that he can't even talk to me on the phone?" Taehyun mumbles with a pout, kicking a rock with his foot right after.

Not even realizing, his tears already started to trail down his rosy cheeks. He sobbed, "What a day filled with bad luck," Taehyun sniffled.

Suddenly, a small bottle of banana milk was handed to him. He slowly looks up, only to see a silhouette of a tall boy standing in front of him. Taehyun rubs his glossy eyes, and looks up again. The boy had a small frown written all over his scarlet colored lips, his brows slightly furrowed as if he was confused, and his hair was messy- as if someone had ruffled it.

"Here, drink this. It'll make you feel better," The boy smiled.

With a glimpse of hesitation, Taehyun took the drink. I mean, of course he'd hesitate. Even though this guy is incredibly good looking, he can't take any risks. Now, didn't our parents always told us not to take anything from strangers?

Yet this guy, he didn't feel like any form of dangerous threats. His voice was comforting and soft, his eyes glistened with the stars twinkling above, the moon's rays were hitting his pale skin, and his smile- oh god that smile - his smile was beautiful.

The boy sat on the swing next to Taehyun, and puts down his plastic bag. With the creaking sound of the swing, he talks, "Why are you crying...?"

Taehyun took a small sip from the banana milk before answering with his soft little tone, "My parents just scolded me, because my grades and tests results dropped. I mean, the results weren't that bad! I don't understand what's there to be furious about," He rants, even throwing his hands here and there.

"Well, that's normal if you ask me. They just want the best for you, but I know sometimes they can get insensible with all the scoldings- but we can't really do anything about that. Unless, you'd want to speak yourself up," With a tiny smile, the boy beside him said. His eyes locked above the view above his head.

"I... I can't really speak myself to them, I'd rather take all the poisonous words and stay silent, than to start a fight."

"Well," The boy stands up from his seat and walks himself in front of Taehyun with his widest smile, "I'll be here for you, 'til you'll be able to speak for yourself- even after doing that, I'll be here!" He said, a glimpse of excitement mixed within his cute voice.

It sounded like a promise.

The kind of promise that won't get shattered to pieces.

"Really...?" Taehyun was loss with words, this boy had something different in him. The way he smiled and say those words, it all felt comforting and pure. As if he meant every bits of it.

"Of course! I'm Kai by the way, Huening Kai!" Lending out his hand, he introduces himself.

"Taehyun, Kang Taehyun."

Their hands touched, it felt amazing. Huening Kai's hands were soft and warm, he felt safe. He felt like there was someone there for him. As if Huening Kai was one of the stars that fell from the sky, and crossed paths with him.

He promised he'll stay.

Huening Kai promised he'll stay.

Going back to his senses, he drifts his eyes off from the pavement and lifts his head. When he saw the convenience store ahead, he sighed. The night was cold, even his jacket couldn't block away the breeze. His converse hitting the ground with a light thud, and the street lights guiding his way through the dark street.

Just when he was about to go inside the store, the doors slide open- revealing the person who is one of the reasons he is so confused right now.

Beomgyu tried to ignore and pass by him, but the red haired boy calls his name- halting him from his steps.

"Beomgyu-hyung."

Reluctantly, the little one turns around to look at him with a small smile, "Taehyun."

"Can we talk?"

Too exhausted to argue, Beomgyu agrees. They made their way to a bench nearby and sat, none of them wanted to start the conversation, but one of them has to speak or else this talk wouldn't go anywhere.

"So, what is it that you wanted to talk about?" Beomgyu asked, somehow unsure of everything.

Taehyun sighed, remembering that night when Huening Kai 'broke up' with him.

Tell him you still love him, because I know you still do.

Did he really? Of course he does, but right now? He wasn't so sure. All he could think about was Huening Kai, but if the younger one wanted him to do this, then he will.

"I still love you."

scent.