Chapter 9

This is not my language, sorry if there are mistake.

When the power went out for the second time and the generator didn't turn on, they immediately turned on all the torches they had and started looking for the generator manual. However, that manual was not found, there were too many sheets and there was little light. Fortunately Pruitt was there and knew the manual, he remembered everything. Pruitt, Jack and Travis then went to try to solve the problem. After half an hour the generator restarted and everyone got back to work.

Many people started arriving at the station for help. As they arrived Pruitt gave them a tag to write their name and if they had any pathologies, so that if they had problems they had everything written there. A children's play area was also set up, Vic and Dean had the task of being with the children and making them have fun in any way. Ben and Travis were the paramedics on duty, after checking all the supplies they went around asking if they needed anything. Maya and Jack instead were in the kitchen preparing everything necessary for everyone. Andy instead was wherever they needed her, he was always around and never stopped, Sullivan did the same, whoever he needed was available.

At one point, however, Sullivan noticed that something was wrong with Pruitt, he had seen him very tired, he was distracted, so he decided to go to him.

S: "Is Pruitt okay? I need something?"

P: "Eh? Yes, I'm fine, I'm just a little tired".

S: "Go to rest, I'll be here".

P: "Oh thank you Sullivan".

S: "If you want to be comfortable you can go to my accommodation, nobody will disturb you there". He said, holding out the key.

P: "I think I will go there. If you see Andy, can you tell her I should talk to her? I need to do it".

S: "Yes, of course, after I try and tell you".

P: "Thanks".

Sullivan was worried, Pruitt was very serious and was not well, he had to look for Andy as soon as possible and send her to her father. He asked Miller to take his place at the reception and went to look for Andy. He couldn't find it anywhere, he was always around. Finally found it!

S: "I finally found you!"

A: "I was around to help. Do you need something?"

S: "Yes, you have to go to your father, he said he has to talk to you".

A: "Ok. Are you still at the reception?"

S: "No, he was tired and so I sent him to my accommodation, it would have been quiet there"

A: "Ok, thanks. I go immediately to him". At that moment she was worried, because her father wanted to talk to her? Why right now?

Sullivan seeing his worried face, said: "If you want to talk about it later you know where to find me".

With a slight smile Andy looked at him and went to his father. When he entered the accommodation he saw his father on the bed, he was not very well, he worried even more.

A: "Dad, are you okay?" he said in a worried tone.

P: "Yes, that is, no. I'm not very well Andy".

A: "What's going on?"

P: "Cancer is back, I have less than a year left".

Andy was shocked. "OMG. How long have you know? Did you find out recently?"

P: "I discovered it about 2 months ago. I also decided not to undergo any treatment".

A: "How sorry? Won't you heal yourself? Aren't you going to do anything?"

P: "No. I was too sick last time. I want to enjoy every single day now".

A: "I don't agree. You have to get treated, you can't live like you don't have cancer". She was angry, disappointed, sad. He wanted to leave, but he couldn't move. He said one last thing to his father: "Get out of here, I want to be alone."

While Pruitt was leaving the Battalion Chief's office, he ran into Sullivan and Maya who were going to call Andy.

S: "What happened? Where is she?" he wondered looking around.

P: "She stayed in your office, she sent me away. I just told her I got cancer again and she is angry. He won't want to see anyone I guess".

M: "Come on sir, come to the kitchen with us".

As Maya and Pruitt made their way to the Sullivan kitchen, she went to her office to Andy. When he entered, he saw her there on his motionless bed with tears in his eyes. He approached her and without saying a word he put his arms around her and squeezed her tightly. At that point, Andy felt safe, protected and let go of her tears. He remained in his arms until the next morning.

In the meantime, Puitt explained his condition to everyone in the kitchen. They were surprised at what she had told him about the treatment, but eventually they understood his motivation. But they were worried about Andy, they wanted to go to her, but Maya stopped them, told him that she wanted to be alone, they would see her the next morning.

The morning after the storm was over, the people who had found refuge in the barracks left.

Andy was woken up by someone who was knocking on the door, opened her eyes and realized that she was still in Robert's arms, had never left her for even a second, had always been there for her without saying a word. At the door was Maya.

M: "Andy are you awake? Do I know you're there".

Andy opening the door: "Good morning Maya".

M: "How do you feel? Are you coming for breakfast with us? Don't worry, your father isn't there, he left a little while ago".

A: "I'm fine, don't worry, I'm just angry. 10 minutes and I will be there with you".

M: "Ok. Ah Andy, after you and Vic we will talk about the situation". He was pointing to the door of Sullivan's room.

A: "Okay, I'll tell you everything if you insist! To soon".

When he closed the door he went to Robert and kissed him to wake him up. When he woke up she only said "Thanks for being with me".

Andy then joined the others in the kitchen, no one asked questions, they all sat at the table together as usual to have breakfast. Someone then interrupted the laughter of the boys, it was Sullivan, he had something to say to all of them.

S: ""Goodmorning everyone. I wanted to start by complimenting you, you did a fantastic job during the snowstorm, so you have an extra day off".

They were all happy, so they could have fun, rest, do anything. Then silence again, Ben's phone was ringing. He replied, made a huge smile to the whole team and ran away.

Who was on the phone? Where did he go so fast? The next chapter will be published on Monday morning ;)