Chapter 34

The weeks after Pruitt's funeral were tough for Andy, but with everyone's help he was recovering. She went back to work until about 2 months before the baby was born. On one of the last visits made, Carina had forced her to stay at home and rest as much as possible and even if Andy didn't agree much, she did. Since she would have been at home for a few months even after the baby was born, the station needed someone to be the Captain in her place. The options were to name someone from the outside or to make Maya or Jack Captain until his return. The idea that it was one of them was the best option, they both knew all the members of 19 well and knew that they could be blindly trusted. The last week of work before staying at home he had observed them carefully and then speaking with Robert had made a decision, it would be Jack who would temporarily take his place. It was a difficult choice, they could both be the Captain, Maya had sometimes replaced her, but now Jack felt it was the best idea. On the last day of service, before going home, he gathered them all in the kitchen to talk to them and give them the news.

A: "As you know, after today I won't be able to be here for a while, you need a Captain in my absence. I have thought about it a lot this week and made a decision. Jack will be the Captain until I return"

J: "Me? Really? Thanks, I didn't expect it. We thought you would choose Maya or someone else"

A: "It was a difficult decision, but it was the right one. Don't make me regret giving you this opportunity"

J: "I won't"

M: "Congratulations Jack"

Contrary to what one might think, Maya wasn't sorry not to be made Captain, she was happy for Jack, he had been a lieutenant for a lot longer and it was the right decision. Before Andy could go home, Vic and Maya had told her that during their free time they would go to her to help furnish the baby's room and do a lot of shopping. Andy's first day at home alone was very boring, she wasn't used to having all that free time and she had to spend most of it alone since Robert had to work anyway. That morning she got up calmly, had breakfast and then relaxed a little while watching TV, but time never seemed to pass for her. At lunchtime she called Robert because she hadn't heard him all morning and then after lunch she turned on her computer and started looking for things for the baby. She didn't know where to start, the first thing that came to her mind was the stroller, so she started there. There were many models to choose from, he had read the characteristics of all of them and then chose a classic black one with red stitching. As she continued her research she stopped at a clothing site. He took various onesies, bodysuits, some outfits to put on him when they would go out for a walk and a small bear to put in the crib. Then it occurred to her that they still hadn't chosen a crib, Robert once showed her one he liked so she went looking for it and bought that one. While he was finishing the order, Robert returned home, she had not noticed that it was now evening.

R: "Hey"

A: "Hey. Are you already at home?"

R: "Yes, do you know what time it is?"

A: "I have no idea, I was buying something for the baby. Do you want to see?"

R: "Of course yes" he went to sit on the sofa next to her.

A: "For now I have only confirmed the order for the cradle, I took the one you liked. Then I found all these things here. If you like them too, I confirm this too"

Robert, after he had seen everything, was happy with what he had taken: "I like everything, everything is perfect"

A: "Since everything is perfect, we will be hungry"

R: "Anything in particular?"

A: "Pizza"

R: "Ok. I call and order it"