Chapter 14

They both woke up suddenly and Andy said "Shit!"

A: "Maya! Thank goodness you're you, you scared me"

Maya laughed "Luckily it was me otherwise you were in trouble. You'd better get in before the others wake up too"

A: "Come on, we'll be going in soon"

R: "I think we'll have to be more careful from now on"

A: "You are right. But now before I go in I want a kiss"

R: "On orders Captain! Come closer" after the kiss they went back into the house, apart from Maya, nobody had woken up yet. Once everyone awake had breakfast and everyone returned to their home, they would meet again in a few hours for the start of the long 24-hour shift.

Once they had all arrived, Dixon also arrived and called Herrera and Sullivan to the latter's office to make presentations with the newcomer, as well as his son. Sullivan came out of his office and called everyone in line. The four got out and made the necessary introductions.

S: "Good morning everyone. He is Emmet Dixon our new recruit"

E.D: "Good morning"

All: "Good morning"

D: "Well, now that you have made the presentations I can leave"

A: "Dixon will take turns with you to learn. Bishop today will be your turn"

M: "Yes Captain"

A: "Everyone at work then"

They all began to arrange the trucks and the ambulance, Maya began to give the first tasks to the rookie and Andy and Sullivan went to their respective offices. During the first part of the day there were only 2 calls for the ambulance, it would have happened to Travis and Maya along with the rookie. They were fairly simple and quick calls. At lunchtime they were all together in the kitchen eating, laughing and joking, they began to get to know the rookie better, but all this joy and tranquility was interrupted by an alarm. They all snapped at their posts to leave as quickly as possible. Sullivan remained in the barracks and settled all the mess left in the kitchen.

Arriving at the scene of the call, what they saw was really bad. A van had hit a gang of motorcyclists.

Each had its own task. Unfortunately, the first victims who were rescued were already dead. In the distance they then saw other people and rushed to them. One was stuck in the car, Maya knew immediately that he would never make it, so he decided to practice the novice. He knew it was not a pleasant situation, but at that moment he could learn a lot, certain things are learned only by working in the field. Travis and Dean rescued a man who was stuck under his motorbike, while Ben and Jack rescued a woman who had been thrown into a tree. Andy went to the third man who seemed to be the better man, but when she came to him he noticed a bad head injury and after a few minutes he died. Jack and Ben managed to pull the woman down from the tree, but there was nothing they could do to save her, she had died instantly. The man stuck under the bike was the woman's husband, he wanted news, Andy decided to lie to try to save him together with Travis and Dean, unfortunately he did not go as they expected. Before he died the man said that they were a group of nine people. Everyone looked at each other, two more were missing. They searched everywhere until they found them, but only one of them was still alive. They did everything possible to save him and with great teamwork they managed to bring him to the hospital.

Once back in the barracks they were all very shaken and tired from what had happened, the call had kept them busy all afternoon. As soon as they got out of the trucks they heard a perfume coming from the kitchen, Sullivan had prepared dinner. Sullivan as soon as he saw them arrive he realized that it had not been an easy call, he didn't ask many questions, indeed when they were all together he tried to talk about something else. After finishing, the boys put the kitchen in order, Sullivan went to his office to finish things, Andy had to write the report, Maya and Vic got the equipment used. As soon as Vic and Maya were done, they passed by Andy. The three of them had a tradition, after bad calls they always found themselves in an isolated place for everyone to eat ice cream to try to cheer up a little.