Chapter 1- The Awakening

From the Southern Water Tribe traveled two teenagers, searching for food to bring back to their home. In the lead on the canoe was a dark skinned male wearing a comfy winter jacket. His blue eyes scanned the area and he constantly kept arguing with his younger sister, who looked very much like him.

She was upset, and continued moving the water. "Um, Katara?" He called to her. She threw her hand to the side and pointed a finger in his face, "no Sokka! I'm so sick of you! Every single time you're always trying to tell me what to do, and constantly talking and interrupting me when I'm trying to speak!" He rubbed behind his neck, clearly uncomfortable and afraid of what she'd do next.

"Um, Katara!" The brown skinned girl threw her other hand across, "see! There you go again! You listen good and listen now! I want to be in charge once in a while!!" Sokka clinged to his hood and yelled, "Katara!" "Stop interrupting me!!" She formed waves and ended up breaking an ice berg that came crashing down on them!

"Ah!!" In fear they both scream as the canoe drifted further up. The water beneath was glowing, and Katara stood up straight, staring off at the ocean. "Oh great! Leave me here with the crazy lady that moves water!" Sokka muttered, holding his head and glaring at the water.

He turned and stood beside Katara, watching in shock as the water got brighter and brighter, then suddenly a giant ice globe appeared. Within it was a young boy. Katara held her chest and grabbed Sokka's boomerang, his most trusted weapon. "No, Katara! What're you doing?!" He asked his younger sister.

She glared, "can't you see there's a person in there! We have to get them out!" Sokka face palmed, "maybe it's best we leave them in there. I mean, there's probably a pretty good reason why someone would be trapped in there in the first place." Katara started hitting the globe of ice, watching it crack little by little. She called back to her brother, "Sokka! Help me!"

"Nope! You're on your own for this one!" He folds his arms and turned his head. A bright light appeared brighter than last, and a boy fell out of it. He looked to be asleep, falling into the arms of the water bender. Katara held him close and he groaned, rubbing his eyes.

Katara took in his strange features. Fair, maybe a bit tanned, bald, arrows all over his body and clothing that appeared to be old. Centuries? Decades? Who knows. "Ugh, Appa?" He shot up and screamed, but Katara held him down. "Relax! Hey! Are you okay?!"

The arrow headed male nodded slowly, "who are you? Where am I?" Sokka stooped beside Katara staring at the boy with disgust. "We're from the Water Tribe." Katara glared, "we are, and my name is Katara. This is my brother, Sokka." "Big brother." The boy sat up and rubbed his head. "You're in the middle of nowhere." Sokka states.

"Oh no! Have you guys seen my bison?!" "Your what?" Sokka asked in confusion. "Bison! It's a big mammal with grey fur and horns! He's like a cross between a yetti and a very hairy one!" Sokka itched his head, "so basically a giant pet?" "We'll help you find Appa!" Katara tells the boy, "but first, can we get your name?" "Oh sure, it's Aang!"

"Hey Aang! Over here!" Aang turned and rushed over to Katara, smiling at her brightly with a blush on his cheeks. Behind the two was a small blind girl from the Earth Kingdom, Toph Beifong. She is a little master in earth bending. Her head shot up and she pointed at Sokka with her finger, "what was that?!" "What? What're you talking about?" "Something smells!" "Well it definitely wasn't me!"

They both look over to a giant grey bison with arrow marks on it's body. "Appa was that you?!" He groans and lay back down, flopping his giant tail. "Toph, Sokka, you should come see this." Katara snuck over and whispered. They go closer to Aang who sat on a rock, mumbling something about , three hundred years ago... and ​​​​​​only that past life memory remains...

"Is it me or have you lost it?" "Ah!" Aang jumped, turning and blowing air in Sokka's face. He sighed and fixed his hair. "Just great." "Aang, are you okay?" The airbender shook his head. "No. Katara, I'm not okay." He frowned. "It doesn't make any sense to me. Why must I remember what happened in a past life three hundred years ago, and not have all memories but just..I don't know, precious ones? I feel so guilty and upset. I can't even cry because I don't even know what to do with myself!"

"Okay twinkle toes! Just take a deep breath in and explain yourself!" They sit around, staring at Aang. He gulped, "this is gonna sound crazy but, here goes nothing!" The three raise their heads and listen closely, "three hundred years ago, I was there." "Yeah, we know. You're the avatar--oof!" Toph punches Sokka to his arm.

"You were saying?" She motioned Aang to continue. "When I say I was there, I mean I was there. Not as a reincarnation of my past self or something, but as me. I had friends and...I met a girl. She's kinda different from you Katara." Katara raised a brow, "different? Different how?"

"Well. For starters she curses. A lot. She's mean, ambitious but harsh. From time to time when she wants, she can be nice. From time to time." Aang smiled, a blush on his cheeks. "Why are you blushing--ohh! I bet your lady friend was your lady huh?" Sokka nudged him.

Aang laughed rubbing behind his head, "you could say we had a sort of relationship!" Sokka smirked, "go on~" "she wasn't from the Water Tribe, and I wasn't the Avatar." Now, this made them all raise brows. "Huh?" "I know! I know! It's crazy, but I wasn't the Avatar! She was, and I was her best friend. I am her best friend."

Sokka rubbed his head. "Hold up! So you're telling me, you weren't the avatar bur your dead girlfriend was, and now since you're the avatar doesn't that make you her? I mean, basically you're the same person, just three hundred years after." Aang shook his head. "It's not like that really. She and I are one person, but we're also two different people." "I don't get it. You dated yourself!" "Back then I wasn't her! She wasn't me! We were ourselves! Gah, I knew you'd think I'm crazy!"

Toph shakes her head, "no. We don't think you're crazy. All of us except Sokka. Is there anything else bothering you?" "Yeah Aang, we're here for you no matter what." Katara wraps her around his shoulder.

"Maybe it'll make more sense if I tell you guys from the beginning." He sighed and rubbed his forehead, "I don't know the full thing of her story, but I remember when we first met. It was on a cool day, just like this..."