4. BETTER LOOKING THAN LOCKHART

| CHAPTER FOUR |

BETTER LOOKING THAN LOCKHART.

THE WARMTH OF THE GREAT hall enveloped the students, drying them almost instantly from the rain.  Natasha sat besides Rosie, her head propped up by her hand whilst her other one laid on the table, tapping her long fingernails - that she pained a lovely shade of yellow - on the wooden table, completely and utterly bored out of her mind. 

The only time the blonde enjoyed the Sorting Ceremony was when she was a first year, the excitement and nerves of being in a magical school caused her to almost trip over the steps as she walked up to the stool, sitting down onto it whilst Professor McGonagall placed the Sorting Hat right onto her head. It didn't take long for the Hat to determine that Natasha Fields belonged in Hufflepuff. 

Now, being in her fourth year and having seen four different sorting ceremonies, she couldn't help but just feel bored, her mind wandering to the Feast as she counted how many first years were still left, "Ten more to go," She muttered causing the redhead to roll her eyes.

"Stop complaining."

"I'm not complaining," Nat shrugged, moving her eyes from the nervous looking eleven year old; who looked as if he was going to throw up, and looked down at her nails, admiring her hardworking from the night prior. 

"Welcome!" Headmaster Dumbledore's cheerful voice finally gained the blonde's attention. She let out a loud sigh of relief as she looked up at the old wizard. He was now standing in front of his podium, the Sorting Hat long gone now that all the eleven year olds were sorted, sitting at the edges of their new house tables, looking around in awe, "Welcome to another year at Hogwarts," He smiled brightly, "I have a few things to say to you all, and as one of them is very serious, I think it's best to get it out of the way before you all become to befuddled by our excellent feast."

"Urgh," Natasha groaned loudly, earning an amused look from the Headmaster himself

"As you will all be aware after their search of the Hogwarts Express, our school is playing host to some Dementors from Azkaban, who are here on the Ministry of Magic's business," Dumbledore said, his voice completely serious as he looked out at the students, his eyes lingering on the Gryffindor table.

Natasha and Rosie shared worried looks as the whole atmosphere in the Great Hall suddenly dampened. 

"They are stationed at every entrance of the ground, and whilst they are with us, I must make it plain that nobody is to leave the school without permission. Dementors are not to be fooled by tricks or disguises, or even Invisibility Cloaks," His eyes yet again lingered on the lions' table, "It is not in the nature of a Dementor to understand pleasing or excuses. I therefore warn each and every one of you, to give them no reason to harm you."

"Jeez, I think that's gotten rid of my appetite," The blonde muttered, a shiver ran down her spine from the worried look on Dumbledore's face.

Dumbledore continued, "On a happier note," He said cheerfully, as if he didn't just talk about Dementors, "I am pleased to welcome two new teachers to our rank this year. Firstly, Professor Lupin, who has kindly consented to fill the post of Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher."

Scattered and rather unenthusiastic claps were heard around the Great Hall. Natasha craned her neck up, her ocean blue eyes falling upon the new professor. He smiled warmly at the students, his face looking at them tiredly. He wore brown tattered robes with mismatched bits of threads on certain parts of it, "Better looking than Lockhart," She commented.

Rosie glanced at her best friend, raising an eyebrow, "Really? I would've thought you were more of a Lockhart kind of girl."

Natasha grimaced, "Gross, Rosie."

"I am sorry to say Professor Kettleburn, our Care of Magical Creatures teacher, retired at the end of last year in order to spend more time with his remaining limbs," The Headmaster began again, "However, I am delighted to announce that his place will be filled by no other than our own Rubeus Hagrid, who has agreed to take on this teaching job in addition to his gamekeeping duties."

The Gryffindor table was by the far the loudest with their cheering. Practically every student that was cladded in burgundy and gold clapped, some of them whooping which caused the half-giant to grin widely under his enormous beard. Natasha found herself clapping softly at the news, she had met Hagrid during her very first year and absolutely adored the friendly half-giant. He had absolutely terrified the eleven year old Natasha when she first bumped into him, and she was about to start crying when her eyes looked up to see him standing over her, but as soon as he started to coo at her before giving her a delicious strawberry cupcake and helped her find her way onto the boats the first years took to the school, the tears seized to exist and a wide grin appeared on her face as she enjoyed the treat.

"Now, now, let the Feast begin," Dumbledore clasped his hands together, causing all four of the long tables to suddenly become filled with delicious food and drinks, all ready for the students to tuck in.

"Finally!"