45. RED SPARKS

| CHAPTER FORTY-FIVE |

RED SPARKS.

THE SUN WAS SETTING WHEN bright red sparks flew from somewhere in the maze. Natasha instantly perked up as everyone around her went quiet. Instantly, Dumbledore waved his wand at the maze and within seconds it began to open up, sending bits of leaves and twigs flying around. Natasha stretched her head up, trying to see over the crowd for any signs of Cedric, however, there were none, the person who sent the red sparks was Fleur Delacour.

The French girl was helped out of the maze by her Headmistress and Madam Pomfrey, the latter of the two summoning a stretcher. Natasha nibbled at her bottom lip as she watched Fleur being hoisted up onto the stretcher, the girl looked as if she was sleeping, her head lolling from one side to another (which, Nat assuming to be a good sign; even if she was hurt at least she wasn't dead). Madam Pomfrey disappeared from sight, rushing back towards the school with the Headmistress of Beauxbatons Academy and the rest of the girls following her.

"I feel like I'm going to be sick," Natasha mumbled, sitting back down and sighing. Her stomach was doing somersaults, her eyes superglued to the maze.

"He's going to be fine," Rosie reassured her, linking their arms together, "They wouldn't let them go in if there was a chance of death...right?" She sent a pointed look over Natasha's head at Grace.

The Slytherin nodded, "Yeah, exactly," She squeezed Nat's shoulder, "He's a smart guy, he'll be just fine."

Natasha let out a shaky breath and just as she was slowly feeling her body relaxing by that tiny little minuscule bit, more sparks came from within the maze. She didn't know whether she wanted that to be Cedric or not, on one hand, if it was him it meant that he was alive and even though it would mean that he didn't win, at least he was alive. Yet, on the other hand, he could win (she knew how much that would mean to both him and his father) and maybe Rosie and Grace were right, there was no way that Dumbledore would just allow a bunch of teenagers to go into a maze where they could meet their fate...right?

It was Viktor Krum that sent the second wave of red sparks. He was still conscious when he got out of the maze, however, Natasha couldn't help but notice how weird his eyes looked, even sitting up far from him, she could make out that his eyes were clouded over and not his usual dark colour. He was promptly taken away back towards the school by his Headmaster. 

It was just two left now. Cedric Diggory and Harry Potter. And Natasha felt more than terrified. 

Her knee bounced uncontrollably, she picked at her painted fingernails and her eyes never wavered from the maze ahead of her, she could practically feel herself burning a hole in it with her gaze and even though she actually wasn't, she kind of wished that she did, at least that way she could see what was happening inside the maze and maybe that fear deep in her bones would've slipped away. 

She appreciated the fact that her friends were by her side, trying to reassure her that Cedric would be alright, but she just couldn't believe it, not until she saw him in front of her, unharmed. 

The sky was getting darker and darker, yet there was still no sign of either boy and it seemed that everyone around Nat was now also getting worried, she even spotted the professors sharing worried looks with one another. The blonde was about to rush down to Dumbledore, ask him if there was anything they could do to get the boys out, that maybe, they needed help, but just as she was about to stand up she heard a crack and two boys appeared, both of them on the ground.

"He's back!" Harry yelled, his voice sounded raw, "He's back!"

Natasha glanced back at her friends with a worried look and without another moment of hesitation, she jumped right out of her seat and headed down from the stands. Tears stinging her eyes as she made out Cedric's figure lying on the ground, withering in pain, the Tournament Cup thrown lazily besides the two boys.

It was as if time stood still for Natasha, she couldn't hear the gasps around the field, the screams and shouts all she could hear was her heart beating loudly in her ears. She fell down to her knees right besides Cedric, her eyes stinging with tears. She watched him wither in pain, his eyes were squeezed shut, his face contorted with pain. 

Natasha reached her hand out to touch his cheek tenderly, his eyes opening briefly and Natasha felt her heart breaking. Still staying close to him, she finally looked up, her tear-filled eyes locking over at Harry, "What in Merlin's name happened out there?"