26. PROUD

| CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX |

PROUD.

"I THINK I'M GOING TO put my name in."

That statement caused Natasha to finally look up from her ice cream, her eyes wide as she stared at Cedric. The sixth year Hufflepuff had spotted her sitting alone in the Hufflepuff dormitory (since Rosie had become a Prefect, ew, and had to go stroll the corridors with some goody two-shoe fifth year Hufflepuff boy), so, Cedric offered to take her to the kitchens for the evening, an offer that mirrored the one he had given her when she was upset about her Boggart the year prior.

"You're joking, right?"

Cedric smiled sheepishly before shaking his head, he refused to make eye contact with the blonde as he stirred his ice cream, "No, I was thinking about it and I think it'd be fun, right? Plus, my dad will be so proud."

"Your dad is already proud," Natasha told him. It was no lie that Amos Diggory was the proudest father on the face of the earth. He absolutely adored his only son and it showed, "He's always been proud of you."

"How do you know?" Cedric asked, finally looking up at the blonde. His grey eyes stayed focused on her face, as if he was trying to remember every little thing about her. Her freckles were on show that day, and it didn't take long for them to become one of his favourite things about her. He quickly shook his head (as if he was shaking the thoughts right out of it) and he looked down at the cold dessert.

"Please," The blonde scoffed, tapping his shin with her foot, "You should hear the way he talks about you, Cedric. That man is the proudest person I have ever met in my entire life, trust me on that one," She stated, taking a large mouthful of her ice cream.

"Well, I think this will make him even prouder," Cedric said after several minutes of silence, "What--What do you think of it?" He found himself asking. He wasn't exactly sure why but Natasha's opinion seemed to feel as important as the opinion from his father. He wanted her to be proud of him. He wanted her to care. He didn't know exactly why, but that's all he wanted.

The blonde looked back up. her eyes were practically sparkling as she looked at Cedric. She couldn't help but smile, a genuine smile at that, "I think, what's life without a little risk?" Natasha grinned even harder when a smile graced Cedric's features. There was something different about their friendship now. Ever since that fateful day at the Quidditch World Cup, she found herself thinking about him differently (not to mention, the fact that he got her the prettiest bracelet she had ever laid eyes upon for Christmas). 

"So, you'd do it if you could?"

Natasha suddenly laughed, "Oh hell no," She shook her head, some of her golden blonde locks fell onto her face and Cedric wanted nothing more but to reach over and push it past her ear so he could see both of her gorgeous ocean blue eyes and it took him all his willpower not to do so, "There's no way I would survive the first task."

"I think you underestimate yourself," Cedric confessed, sending her a small smile, one that made her feel funny all of the sudden. 

"Actually, I think you overestimate me," She told him, nudging his leg again, "Promise me one thing?"

"Anything," Cedric nodded without hesitation.

"Please don't die," Natasha's voice was small and completely sincere. Her eyes never left his. He could see all her emotions in them, he more time they spend together, the easier it was for him to read her.

"I promise."

He grinned when Nat lifted her hand up, holding her pinkie out. Chuckling softly, Cedric dropped his spoon into the bowl, both of them long forgetting about the rest of their ice cream. He wrapped his pinkie tightly around hers. Their eyes still locked together, refusing to look away even for a second.

"Good, and if you break that promise, I will have to kill you."