Chapter 20

"He's just a kid!"

"Yeah but his parents took my eye!" Muscular growled as he pointed at the shivering boy in Deku's arms.

"He's probably going to be a hero when he's older anyway so I'm just helping us out!"

When the kids heard those words, he looked down almost ashamed of himself but with a look of anger flaring in his eyes.

"That doesn't mean you can kill a kid!"

Muscular was getting angrier by the second as his quirk started to activate and strands of muscle started to wrap around his arms.

"Why do I need to babysit a wimp like you anyway?!"

Feeling a sense of danger as he aimed a punch towards Deku, Izuku immediately took over and teleported him and the kid away.

They landed behind the teaching lounge where Deku returned and set him down before going on his knees to pear into the kid's face.

"Are you okay? What's your name?"

He saw looks of confused and mistrust as the kid stammered.

"I'm...Kota...Aren't you a villain? Why did you help me?"

Deku smiled and patted his hat, "I  may be a villain but that doesn't mean I'm a bad person. Just like you, you don't want to be a hero is what my gut says."

Kota looked surprised and nodded, before giving a weird look.

"I know I should like heroes like the other people by age...but being a hero sucks! You die because there are always villains stronger and you end up leaving people sad!"

Kota started to tear up and overcome with emotion, Deku hugged the boy tightly.

I wonder how many kids end up like this because of us?

Probably a few, we've killed many.

It makes me sad knowing I caused this...

Cheer up Deku, think about how many people we've saved too because we ate their faulty organ?

Yeah but...

And now you have he chance to save another child. He's a victim to trauma, a psychological colour. We can't physically eat it but we can still do our best to remove it.

Izuku...

You may not be a hero but we can help!

Ha...thank you.

Any day.

"Does it make me a bad person to wish the heroes didn't risk their lives so they can come home safely?" Kota whispered as he cried into Deku's shoulder and the monochrome boy rubbed soothing circles on his back.

"Wanting someone to return home safely doesn't mean you're a bad kid, Kota. Every person is allowed to feel sad when someone they care for is no longer with them."

We live trying our best to look after people because we failed to protect some from the past.

Like mom and Himiko...

"But Kota,"

He gave the boy a gentle smile as his next words came straight from what he truly believed in.

"Being a hero...means that you are there when someone needed you the most. It doesn't matter to them about the pain they receive because they keep pushing themselves. And a hero won't stop until they can become...a someone's hero."

He kept patting Kota's hat and rubbing circles and the child relaxed.

"Being a hero... means you help cease the suffering."

He stopped petting Kota as he sat back on the floor and looked up sadly.

"I... wanted to be a hero you know? And help people like you from danger." He smiled longingly at they boy who gave him a sudden desperate look.

"Why didn't you? You would've been an amazing hero!"

Deku spun around and turned his back to the kid, his arms resting on his knees.

"Because... I'm one of those villains who has...killed... "

Stunned, Kota fell silent and Deku sighed, letting out an exasperated and hollow chuckle, before getting up.

A hero...

I'm sorry...

No, you are also family to me just like the others.

But...

It's fine, my life would never make it as a hero anyway. I eat organs to keep you alive, my family are on this side, and the fact I personally find heroes a little scary.

They're only scary because of me.

No, it's because they called us a demon child remember?

Yeah, being tangled was terrifying.

So that's it, we can't be a hero. Just look at how this scared this kid is.

Giving him a wave from over his shoulder, Deku starting to walk away.

"W-Wait!"

A small pair of arms wrapped around his waist and Deku turned to see Kota hugging him from behind.

"You... You're my hero!"

Deku stopped and smiled warmly as tears started to swell in his own eyes.

"....Thank you... for saying that."

I never realized how nice those words were...

He crouched down and patted Kota on his hat, "I guess that makes you my hero then too."

Kota blushed and nodded before letting go.

"Heroes...aren't so bad..."

Deku smiled and gave a thumbs up to Kota before stepping back and the boy watched as Izuku took over.

"Goodbye Kota!"

Kota waved as the Monochrome Glitch then jumped into the air and disappeared from his sight.

Deku returned to the fuming Muscular who almost roared when he saw the teen without the kid.

"Why did you save him!? You're supposed to be a villain!"

"I  may be a villain but that doesn't mean I can't help people!"

"You're  crazy kid." Muscular sighed as he cracked his knuckles. "I joined because the fights!"

Deku nodded knowing full well that Muscular only respected those stronger or are just as strong as he was. The only reason he was able to get him eating was because one, the food was high in the nutrition he needed, and two, because Izuku kept teleporting him back.

If he was going to get through to him, he would have to play by Muscular's rules and that meant a one on one brawl.

You have enough strength to fight?

How long do you think it will take for him to call us an equal?

A good half an hour of stalemate at full strength.

It will drain 70% of my strength to do that.

I'll keep that in mind.

Okay then.

Deku exhaled gently as Izuku to came out and his whole being seemed out of place against the world around him.

Muscular saw this and let out a smug grin. 

"Then as a sorry Muscular, let's spar."