The Truth About Shadows

HOPE HOUR

05Aug2020 Wednesday

THE TRUTH ABOUT SHADOWS

* One of the common sources of stress is loss.

* You can lose your job, your health, your money, your reputation, or a loved one.

* And the coronavirus pandemic is most likely amplifying the stress.

* When people go through loss, there are two common reactions.

* One is fear, and the other is grief.

* Grief is good.

* Grief is the way we get through the transitions of life.

* In fact, if you don't grieve, you get stuck!

* Grief will not kill you if you let it out.

* Fear, on the other hand, can be a bad thing. Not once in the Bible does it say, "Grieve not," "Sorrow not," "Weep not," or "Cry not." What it does say is "Fear not."

* And it says that 365 times!

* Because grief doesn't paralyze us, but fear does.

* In Psalm 23:4, David says, "Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me" (ESV).

* David knew shepherds always carried a rod and a staff to protect their sheep.

* And he knew God had the power to protect him.

* So David trusted God, even in the darkest valleys.

* We're collectively going through a dark valley right now, and we can choose to trust God—even in the shadows, where it doesn't make sense and when it can seem like a long way out of the valley.

* But, here's the good news to remember about big, scary shadows.

* You can't have a shadow without light.

* If you see a shadow, that means there is a light shining nearby.

* So the key when you're going through the valley of the shadow is to turn your back on the shadow and look at the light.

* Because as long as you keep your eyes on the light—Jesus, the Light of the Worldthe shadow won't scare you.

* Just like David, trust God in the dark valleys, and pray, "When I am overwhelmed, you alone know the way I should turn" (Psalm 142:3 NLT).

PRAYER

Father God, when I am overwhelmed, You alone know the way I should turn. Thank You, Lord. Amen.