CHAPTER ONE: YOU ARE SPECIAL

Editor: @BipolarLizzz

In a world where magic prevailed, where one person can manipulate wind, water, fire, even earth; and from generation through generation thus magic evolved.

Some people started to possess magic such as steel, glass, to control one's fate, or even time; it was indeed a magnificent creation.

Certain individuals' magic would become stronger once they reached the age of fifteen and possessed their very own grimoire, a book of spells to better wield their magic.

Though it seemed to be an ordinary book, it was also a part of what we called fate. The rarer a mage's grimoire, the more important a certain mage could become.

That was what they were told.

And because of their magic quirks, people tend to separate the strong from the weak, the nobles from the peasants. The endless division of humanity based on one's magic abilities.

It was indeed a cruel world where one's path was already decided from the moment they were born. A disturbing mentality engraved into everyone's minds.

The strong would become stronger, whereas the weak would always remain the same.

They say children have the liberty to have their own dreams, but in a world like this, do they really?

A seven-year-old girl with long black hair, porcelain skin, and odd, golden eyes similar to that of a dragon's, resided in a secluded room in the Spade Kingdom.

She lied on her bed, staring at the white ceiling, seemingly interested in it. She shifted her body onto her side and gazed at the stacks of books lying on the floor, books regarding the outside world.

She was not allowed to go outside, that was his order.

She took a deep breath as her golden eyes travelled to the magic door she couldn't unlock. Only those in charge knew how to open it.

She sighed once again and looked up to the eleven-year-old boy, who was looking down on her with a frown on his face.

The boy had messy black hair with blood-red eyes. If others saw those eyes, they would have been petrified under his gaze. However, the golden-eyed girl was an exception, for she knew him pretty well.

"Ne, Zeno. What does the outside look like?" she asked, smiling widely at the boy.

"I will not help you sneak out Hayaku," the boy told her firmly, making the young girl pout in disappointment.

"You're just mean as them," she complained, covering herself with a pillow.

Zenon, her childhood friend, stared at the whining girl for a while. She was as stubborn as always indeed.

"We've got to go to training. Big brother's orders," he reminded her with his usual stoic demeanor.

"Don't want to..." the young girl rejected.

Zenon instantly grew an irk mark from Hayaku's stubbornness as he immediately removed the pillow covering her face.

Hayaku's mouth was left agape before she puffed her cheeks, sticking her tongue out at the young boy.

Zenon's brows furrowed at her behavior until a mischievous smirk appeared on his face.

"If you don't get your ass out there, I'm going to make you..." Zenon threatened.

Hayaku gasped at what the young boy told her. "You wouldn't dare!" she breathed in shock, sweat trickling on the side of her forehead. Zenon leaned closer as his eyes glinted in amusement. Then...

He started tickling her to death.

Laughter could be heard from the room they were in as Zenon continued to tickle the young girl.

It was only the time they can act like their age without being punished. Hayaku started to lift her hands up, surrendering to her friend's antics.

"Alright! Alright! Stop it already! I will go!" she shouted, laughing between gasps as she wiped the tears from the corners of her eyes.

Zenon chuckled. Placing his hand on his hips, he nodded in satisfaction. "Good! Come on..." He smiled at her, reaching his hand out, which Hayaku gladly accepted.

Zenon and Hayaku were wearing their usual red turtle-neck long-sleeved shirt, black pants, and black boots. He reached the top of her head and patted it, which the young girl adored.

"Your new guard will be arriving..." Zenon told her, his expression now serious.

"Again?" she asked, looking down on her feet. "That is the..." she muttered, guilt slowly building upon her chest.

"The tenth, yes..." he reminded.

Zenon noticed the troubled girl's expression. He knew her mind was occupied with those things again.

He didn't understand why she was still not used to it. It's not actually the first time she has done those things.

"You need to get used to it, Haya..." Zenon told her softly, grabbing her hand. He called her with the nickname that he came up with. "There will be a game soon..." he reminded her.

Hayaku flinched from the word 'game', she knew it already, that those people would come again. They said that it is normal to do so, for the sake of the Spade Kingdom. But for some odd reason, she felt really terrible about doing it.

"Zeno, why am I the only one playing the game? Why am I the only one who's locked up in this room?" she asked, the same question she always asked him.

The black-haired boy didn't know how to answer her honestly. He couldn't, it was his big brother's orders.

Although he was fond of her presence and he actually liked her to the point where he's protective over her, he just couldn't disobey his big brother.

He faced the young girl, lifting her chin up to face him. Blood red eyes stared into her golden orbs without any hint of dishonesty.

"Because you are special, Haya," he told her softly, but at the back of the black-haired girl's mind...

"I don't want to be special then..." Those words kept lingering in her thoughts.