CHAPTER TWO: THE NEW GUARD

Editor: @BipolarLizzz

"So, you are the new guard?" Zenon asked nonchalantly, eyeing the foreign man, or rather, a boy the same age as him.

He didn't know why his big brother assigned a mere kid to guard Hayaku. It was true that he was as young as the kid-guard, but he was different from them. He was strong.

The boy in front of him was quite skinny, with short black hair, steel-gray eyes, and a patch of white above his forehead. He was also wearing some foreign clothes that he hadn't seen before, a sleeveless, light-colored robe with a deep v-cut neck; not that he cared anyway, as long as he did his duty.

"Indeed I am..." he answered without averting his gaze on Zenon.

"Your name?" Zenon asked.

"Raiden," he answered plainly, but inwardly Raiden didn't like to be alone with the person in front of him.

Zenon had this sickening aura around him, which was why he just decided not to talk much.

Zenon really didn't care about his unmotivated response, so he just nodded and gestured him to follow suit.

The new guard watched Zenon's back as he explained his duty. He's not actually listening to him. He's not planning to stay in this place anyway. He would be out of this hell of a place after his mission.

"It is forbidden to strike a conversation with the person behind this door," Zenon instructed, glancing at him from the corner of his eyes. Raiden's eyes were fixed on the strange door with a magic circle on it.

Zenon placed his right palm on the door and it started to activate.

"All you have to do is watch her and make sure she's not doing anything strange..." Zenon told him while Raiden just nodded in response.

As the door sprung open, Zenon gestured the new guard to enter. And the moment he set foot inside, the door automatically closed, leaving him alone.

Raiden scanned the white room, looking for someone, and who he saw there wasn't the one that he was expecting.

A young girl with long black hair was sitting in the corner with a fox mask covering her face. She was currently hugging her knees, obviously crying as he noticed droplets of tears dripping from her chin.

Raiden didn't know what to do. He could hear sobs coming from the young girl.

What's more confusing was, the information they had gathered was that a dangerous person was located here, and the Spade Kingdom was protecting that someone.

Which was why seeing a mere girl, younger than him was quite bizarre.

"Was the information wrong?" he thought, brows furrowing.

"Are you alright?" he asked her. Even though it was forbidden to talk to her, it's not like they would find out.

Hayaku, on the other hand, flinched at the voice of the new guard. She already knew he was here, but the strange thing was why he's talking to her.

It's the first time in her life that a guard was talking to her because it was forbidden. "Is he not afraid of them?" Haya wondered.

"You know you're not allowed to talk to me right?" she asked as she sniffled while scanning the new guard.

Raiden shrugged after hearing her statement and from the looks of it, he seemed to not care at all. "Yeah, but I don't really like rules. Besides, it's hard to just stand here seeing you like that," he told her. Hayaku noticed that he was waiting for her reaction.

"Why are you wearing that anyway?" he asked as he pointed his index finger at her face.

Hayaku was a bit startled as the new guard continued to talk to her, and what surprised her even more was that he's just as young as Zenon.

"Why do you care..." she muttered as she hugged her knees closer to her.

Raiden tilted his head and examined the young girl. "I don't actually care. I'm just curious," he told her bluntly.

Hayaku scrunched her nose at his blunt remark. It fascinated her that this boy was not afraid of her. Maybe he didn't know who she was due to the strange clothing he's wearing. No one from the Spade Kingdom wore those kinds of thin clothes.

"You are not from here, are you?" she asked. Her golden eyes gazed upon him.

"No, I am not," Raiden answered. Hayaku decided to stand on her feet and let out a long, deep sigh.

"Aren't you afraid of me?" she asked while watching him carefully.

Raiden arched a brow, confused about the young girl's question. "Why would I be? The guy there was much scarier than you," he said straightforwardly, referring to Zenon.

Hayaku couldn't help but laugh at the new guard. He really didn't know who she was, but it made her happy that someone else was talking to her normally.

"Is something funny?" Raiden asked as he witnessed how the girl held her stomach while laughing in amusement.

Hayaku shook her head as she lent her right hand to him. "I'm Hayaku. And you are?" she asked, forgetting how frustrated she was earlier.

The black haired boy didn't know if the young girl in front of him was mentally stable. Earlier, she was crying; now, she's laughing out of the blue. Nonetheless, he decided to ignore it.

"Raiden..." he introduced and decided to accept the handshake.

"Raiden... What a strange name. I already like you. I hope you can stay here for long..." she told him, emphasizing the word 'long'.

Raiden felt goosebumps the moment she said those words. "Is there anything behind it?" he asked himself.

"Don't worry, I won't tell Zenon that you're talking to me. He's just overprotective," Hayaku assured after noticing the anxious aura Raiden was emitting.

"Thank you... I guess? So, what's with the mask again?" Raiden asked, once again being the curious person he was.

Hayaku blinked repeatedly, then chuckled in amusement. "You're not going to drop that, are you?" she asked.

"Well, I am a curious person, so I don't think I will," Raiden told her straightforwardly.

Hayaku watched him for a while before starting to walk towards where the books were. She stopped in her tracks, making sure Raiden was not looking at her.

"It is a magic item... a form of protection..." She told him, grabbing a book and started reading.

Raiden watched her once again while she read the book in her right hand silently. He decided to sit near the door, not averting his gaze from the young girl.

"Protecting you?" he asked as his eyes shifted to her hands flipping the page of her book.

Raiden noticed how Hayaku had stopped flipping the page of her book for a moment. He knew she was hesitant to answer him, but he didn't know that the response would've rendered him speechless.

"More like protecting someone like you from me..." she answered, no longer continuing the conversation.