CHAPTER THREE: THE GAME

Editor: @BipolarLizzz

Six months had passed. Raiden and Hayaku had grown closer to one another. They'd shared some stories, but mostly Raiden was the one who had talked to her, regarding the outside world.

Hayaku just shared some stories about books that she had read or some stories about her and Zenon.

Raiden was quite surprised to hear how Zenon treated her nicely. Because for him, the Spade boy seemed to want to kill him from the way he glared daggers at him from time to time.

The rumours about how merciless Zenon didn't even help the way he looked at him. He even wondered if Hayaku knew what Zenon was doing for the Spade Kingdom.

His mind lingered on the young Hayaku who was currently reading a book like usual. She wasn't wearing her fox mask this time. He had to admit, the young girl would grow up to be an attractive and beautiful woman.

He wasn't afraid of how her eyes looked; rather, it fascinated him. In a world where magic was everything, mutations of some body parts couldn't be helped.

During the six months with her, he noticed that Hayaku only wore the fox mask after the so called 'game', which she wouldn't tell anything about.

Zenon and him, didn't allow Raiden to accompany her during that time. If he ever asked about it, Hayaku would tell him that it was better if he didn't know anything about the matter.

Months had passed once again until it had become a year that he stayed in the Spade Kingdom, which was not a part of the plan.

He had become a twelve-year-old boy while Hayaku had turned eight, and each day her golden eyes became duller, more lifeless.

One wouldn't really see any difference if they didn't know her. But Hayaku had become more distant, and that worried him.

She kept training with Zenon from time to time. On rare occasions, he would see her smiling, but most of them were not genuine.

Zenon noticed how Hayaku was changing as well.

He didn't really want her to be like him, but what could they have done? This was their fate, and nothing was going to change that.

He couldn't even help her sneak out and take a peek of the outside. Even though he wanted to, he just couldn't disobey him.

Hayaku always wanted to see the moon as Zenon had told her once, that it reminded him of her. He told her that it was beautiful and it gave light to the darkness, like she did for him.

She was only the reason why he was not falling completely into the evil lurking in the darkness. As long as he had her, he had something to hold on to.

Hayaku just did whatever they wanted her to do. She didn't want to be punished at all, not by him. Besides, she had Zenon and now Raiden as her friends.

They were the reason why she kept moving forward even though deep inside she wanted to leave the Spade Kingdom and never come back. She wanted to escape the inevitable reality if she could.

Aside from that, Zenon told her that if she got her own grimoire, she would be always by his side and they would not be separated whatever happens. They would protect each other; and this motivated her to become stronger.

Her mind lingered on her grimoire. If only they knew, but she chose to not say a thing.

It told her not too.

"Haya, the game will start soon..." Zenon told her while Hayaku turned her lips upside down. They were in her room and Raiden overheard the Spade boy.