ᴬ ʸᴱᴬᴿ ᴮᴬᶜᴷ ♱ ᴸᴼᵁᴵˁ

➤ᵗʳᵃᵛᶤˢ ˢᶜᵒᵗᵗ ~ ᵍᵒᵒˢᵉᵇᵘᵐᵖˢ 

Playlist: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4o-5go4ip5tC6vZvn6oKYaraUJWE5Umc

I shouldn't have gone to that party.

I'm not even sure if I even belong here.

It has nothing to do with the fact that people assume, I think I am a better person.

There are just a few places where being yourself isn't enough.

Where no version of me can, and Big D's spring break party is one of them.

I squeeze my way through sweating bodies and follow Makayla with her swaying curls.

The room is like we're in the fog, it smells like grass and the music makes the floor vibrate.

Some rapper asks everyone to sing 'Na-Naa', followed by a couple of 'Heys' because people make up their own version.

Makayla holds up her cup and prances through the crowd. With the headache from the fucking loud music and the tight crowd, I'd be surprised if I could make it across the room without spilling my drink.

We break away from the crowd. Big D's house is packed.

I already knew that everyone - well, except me - would fucking love to come to those spring break parties, but, damn it, I didn't think there would be that many.

The girls wear their hair tinted, curled, laid, or straightened.

They really think I don't notice how their eyes are glued to me and they basically strip me.

Guys in their cleanest sneakers and saggy pants grate, close to the girls that they almost need a condom.

My nana uses to say that spring brings love.

It doesn't bring more love to Garden Heights but it does promise babies in winter.

Shouldn't be surprised if a lot of these were conceived on the night of Big D's party.

He always organizes them on the Fridays of the holidays because you need Saturday to relax and Sunday to repent.

"Stop following me and go dance, K," says Makayla. ''I understand that you are my big brother and you worry about me, but I can take care of myself. People already talk and say you think you are something better.''

''Didn't know there were so many mind readers living in Garden Heights.''

Or that I am perceived as something other than 'Big Mav's son helping out in the store'.