Kabanata 1

Text message

"The crown is still yours, Avi!"

Mia exclaimed, making me wonder if she was really the one who won the recent competition that has happened. I just smirked at her and flex the crown I was still wearing. Umikot- ikot pa ako sa daan na naging dahilan ng pagtingin ng mga tao sa akin. I further hear them admiring my face.

Oh well... There are times I can't resist my face too! Especially when I wake up first thing in the morning with no make-up on and just my bald face. It's true that beauty comes naturally.. when it comes to simplicity.

I have always admired my thick long lashes above my soft- almond eyes, my proud nose.. my white fragile skin that easily turned pink when squeezed. And produces a rose complexion when the sun hits. Once I was feeling kinda insecure about its sensitivity I'd really work on finding and trying products and constantly going to the beach just to get tanned... until I realized how I am perfectly created by God. Because it's.. rare... and unique.

I recall a phrase from Amari Soul's Reflections of a Man that said God makes no mistakes. If everyone could see it from that angle, the public would realize that each was properly formed and blessed by God. People, particularly exposed teenagers, must perceive things in that light in order to be positive and self-loving... And just enjoy the blast of life, without questions being asked to doubt. After all, everyone shouldn't live life one in a million but live once in a lifetime. 

Anyways, we are on our way out. Kagagaling lang namin sa hall after I won a pageant, again. For four consecutive years in college, I held a title and crown. I was crowned as Ms. Tourism in my freshman, and looking back to such an early year of win, I am still proud and honored, of course. Ever since.. it's always been my dream. I have always dreamed to become a flight stewardess and I love everything about aviation. During my second year naman, I was Ms. Villa. Third year, I represented my country and won Miss University abroad. And this year, my title is Ms. Senior year.

But every time I win and someone gets to lose, I feel broken for them. Because I know their hard work. I know we're on the same heart. Although, deep down, I guess it was fine and fair. Because that's how it works. One must win because one stood out. It doesn't mean others aren't good. It just means they aren't in the perfect time and place to stand out. So they begin and find their crown somewhere else. Besides, everything I gain comes with all the hard work too and my best efforts, just like others accord. I never work at something just made out of urgency and impassiveness. It's relieving to say I'm in a good place and time.

I looked at my best friend Mia when she scooted over me and whispered something in my ear.

"What? Tone it up a little bit! I don't even understand what you're saying..."

She sighed. She's calm—if will find intently at the back of her strong personality. One thing I like about her. 

When I looked away and finally walked to the side, that's when I captured what she was talking about.

I saw Third leaning on his BMW, holding a cup of Starbucks coffee, probably sipping on it while his other hand is in his pocket.