Kabanata 3

Feelings

Pagkalapag ng bill sa table namin, I immediately leaned in to get it after taking out my card. To my surprise, Third on the other hand gripped the bill too. We are securing both camps of the bill now. I immediately looked up at him but he just arched his brow.

After minutes of battling with the stare, I tiredly sighed and speak. "Let's just pay it half-half." I saw him furrowed his forehead, stop a little, and face me.

"It's so unfitting if I'll let you pay for this." He was about to lengthen his words when I suddenly cut him off.

"Because I'm the girl?"

I... didn't mean to offend him but I think I just did. His face was naturally serious and I say his face got more serious now than ever. Oh... boy.

"You sounded so intentional and what makes us different is I am not. I see where you're coming from, but why would I say something aloud with the intention of making myself feel guilty when, in this instance, I wasn't really someone you should worry about? I'm not really the one to think about discriminating your species, Avi." He managed to make his voice still controlled, only that, his words were so intimidating, especially on how he recited my name.

I swallowed the lump in my throat. I could hear crickets. He silenced me.

Okay... I didn't really mean to say that if he was thinking I'm throwing contrary words against him. I just suddenly felt the comfort of talking to him I wanted to be cool and spill some jokes, but I guess it doesn't work out that well since he took it seriously! I'm sorry too if it turned out to discriminate. That's not my intention. I just wanted lang naman to clear the awkward atmosphere here and fool myself into thinking that he might get along!

The shame! I just added another reason for us to not clear the pressure. It even got worse instead!

Tumikhim ako. "I'm sorry. I... was not supposed to say that. I just got carried away. I.. I know that your intentions were kind. I'm sorry. Please, just forget about it." I want to scream my panic out!

I know he's kind! That is my impression of him when I first saw and addressed him. But I get that he is so staid and I am at fault. I probably hurt his ego.

He arched a brow and made a sarcastic smirk. "It's okay. You're not the first time."

I creased my forehead. What does he mean by that? Is he referring to the girls he had back then? But we're different! We're not something and I just couldn't imagine that!

I wonder now if he had any relationships before, especially serious ones? I can't stop thinking of how he acts with them. Does he normally act strict and staid like this? Or he could be the sweet type? Can't he be...

What the! I'm stopping! I shouldn't be thinking of that!

Hindi ko nalang pinansin ang sinabi niya. I went back to the situation earlier. "So half- half?"