Kabanata 21

The Diamond

"Why were you not calling me?"

I sobbed. She held my hand while cleaning up my tears. I get the tissue from the rocky table to wipe my swollen nose. Sobrang hapdi rin ng eyes ko sa patuloy na pag-iiyak. I just couldn't contain my tears and emotion. 

My decision earlier was final right after I stepped out of the bathroom. I already informed the taxi driver to head me to the condo... but I lost it when Mia replied her heart out and tell me where she is. 

Nandito kami ngayon na dalawa sa park na frequent naming tinatambayan way back high school days. But she wouldn't tell me where she's spending her nights. Pinipilit ko pero ayaw niya talaga. She said it's better this way. Kaya dito nalang kami nagpunta.

"Things really got worse Avi..." she languidly talked.

I looked up at her with teary eyes. I'm so vulnerable right now. "Pero I'm here naman, ah..." I sobbed again. "I... feel useless to you. I can't be a friend to you.! I can't do my duty as your sister. I want to... gustong- gusto ko Mia... B–but how?" 

Her eyes glittered in pain.

"You are not giving me a chance..." I tapped my shoulder a single time. "My shoulder's right here Mia. I'm all ears. Here's my hand," I offered her. "I can help you to stand up. You can share your pain with me...  At 'wag mong sasabihin sa'kin na ayaw mong maging pabigat. Term was too much bruised... I don't care about the stress and pain, Mia. Dahil mas nasasaktan ako that you're not using me para tulungan ka."

She wiped off the tear that fell from her eye. "I-I'm sorry, Avi. I'm sorry." 

I leaned forward to hug her as she keeps on mumbling the same words. "Sorry, Avi...Sorry. I am so sorry. I just don't want to pain you my pains too." She's back sobbing again now.

"Shush. Tahan na... It's all okay now. Hush down, Mia. I'm just right here..." I rubbed her back.

"I'm sorry... Sorry for making you feel worthless."

"Tahan na, Mia... For now, I will not force you to bring out to me whatever you are going through. It hurts... for I really want to know because I want to help you out of this emotional support I know I could only give you. But I understand. I don't want to trigger you." 

Humigpit ang yakap niya sa'kin.

"But I want you to promise me that you'll remain strong. And when the right time comes that you're ready... I want you to share it with me. I'll wait Mia, no matter how long. Hindi kita iiwan... It's unless you're the one to decide."

"Never..." she whispered.

I sighed. "Let's now call your Mom, kay? Please, Mia, they were worried like sick. At least consider your Mom... Kahit 'wag na si Tito. Please call your Mom." 

She abruptly held back the hug. "No!"

"Just this one, Mia. Please... Hear this. Nag-aalala na ako sa kalagayan mo. You're not attending school anymore, and you know we're graduating—"