Chapter 15 - Fresh Wounds

Heeseung couldn't seem to sleep well. He keeps waking up every 30 minutes that he just gave up and sat behind his desk. He didn't want the day to pass, because tomorrow, it'll be Lee Minsung's Death Anniversary.

He despised that day.

He used to despise only one day a year, his birthday. A day he wants to skip lore than any day. Now, December 18 was the new date he wished to skip.

As kids, Minsung and Him never really liked each other. He used to hate him for having sweet, thoughtful and supportive grandparents. Unlike Heeseung who doesn't have grandparents.

All he has was his mother and Sangman. Neither of them takes him to school. They ask Minsung's grandfather to take him along with them, so he would wait on Minsung's front porch every morning. During parents' meeting, they ask Minsung's grandparents as well.

For sone reason, other kids loves to make fun of Heeseung because of his family background. They say her mother's a slut for having a baby with a different man. Parents also look at him as if he's disgusting.

Only Minsung's grandparents are kind to him.

He lived in an environment where nobody really likes him to the point where he just wholeheartedly accepted that e deserved everyone's aggression towards him.

They would often get mistaken to be brothers because of the same surname and Heeseung's guardian happens to be Lee Minsung's grandparents as well. They hated being seen as brothers since Heeseung was proud he has parents, while Minsung was abandoned by his parents and was left with his grandparents.

On the other hand, Minsung was never really fond of Heeseung's family. They're close neighbors and he would often hear Heeseung getting yelled at and mistreated. He used to cry so loud when Sangman beats him up. He's so violent.

Heeseung still treasured his mother despite all of these. But Minsung had a different perspective. He once saw Heeseung's mother stay outside while listening to Sangman beating up little Heeseung.

Minsung told this to Heeseung, but as young kids, Heeseung they misunderstood Minsung's intentions and fought with him in school. Heeseung saw black and hurt Minsung so much that he was sent to the hospital. That's how Minsung's grandparents refused to do any more favors for Heeseung.

He felt broken and rejected. The only kind people to him doesn't like him anymore just like everybody else.

Sangman almost killed him that night. None of them wants to be seen with Heeseung. In this town, Heeseung is better off dead. He's a son of a devil and Lee Kaeun is a stupid bitch who was lured by the devil.

She was dumb enough to not get an abortion when she had a chance. Now she's paying everyday because she let her son live. It was a curse and never a blessing. Everybody keeps blaming her for all the misfortune in this town.

Heeseung texted Jungwon to meet up with him, since he couldn't sleep well. He was at the right timing because Jungwon couldn't sleep as well. They met up in front of the unsafe building and climbed to a window that they're sure was open. There is a window that just won't close at the back.

The two of them were silent as they went to the rooftop. They both sat on the ledge and stared in the night sky, admiring the stars.

"Do you think he can see us?" Jungwon asked Heeseung who doesn't look fine. His eyebags were swollen and dark. He must be stressed.

"I guess so." Heeseung squinted his eyes at the brightest star. "We look up to the stars and admire how they glimmer and shine brightly. Same as people. When people look up to you, you have to set a good example. Now it's up to you how you want them to see you." Heeseung sighed recalling what he was doing that day before he did it. What was he doing that night as well?