·Chapter Twenty-Four·

*Chase*

*Chase*

I laid in the guest bedroom at Liberty and Ahmed's house in silence and waited patiently for Luna to return from going out with Sarah and her sister. Ahmed was taking a nap, and all I could focus on was what has been going on with Luna lately.

Her kisses seemed different, and the way she held me seemed a little off.

Her cute, little smiles had seemed to show up more when she just sat quietly while thinking. The way we made love weeks ago was more erotic and passionate than I'd ever experienced with her. I'm not complaining about it, but she felt like a whole different Luna. I'd catch her standing alone and mumbling to herself sometimes, and other times it seemed like she was imagining someone was around her as if they were caressing her skin. She spaced out, too.

Her whole attitude had changed long before we got engaged. I've noticed so many changes within her throughout these past few months, and I just wondered what was going on through her beautiful head. There was something different about her now, and she hasn't realized that I've been onto her.

She hasn't been truthful, either.

I knew something was going on by the time I heard her talking to herself in the laundry room that day. I heard her talk about someone named Cyrus, and him being a guru?

Was she thinking about converting to a faith that believed in guru's?

I shook my head. There was no way she would become religious now. She was spiritual and believed in God. Even I did at one point. But a guru? Something wasn't right about that. When I slightly opened the door to the laundry room, she seemed to tell the air that she loved... something. Or someone. I stopped her right before she could finish her sentence. I couldn't handle her talking to herself any longer.

The last time she spoke to someone who wasn't there was the time she saw Sam. Sam was everywhere. Sam was there to hold her hand at church when we attended with my parents, because of their Catholic faith. Sam was there in the bath with her and helped her wash herself. Sam was there to cook meals with her and play games with Sarah. Sam was there when she and I were in an intimate moment, and he made her feel pleasured. Did that hurt me? No. Because Sam wasn't really there. He died months before she started imagining him.

Luna had a hard time after his death. I understood that when we spoke about it after she and I met. I understood that he died on his daughter's birthday. I understood that she missed him and didn't feel like she had closure in her life without him. And I didn't care to allow that to affect how I wanted to be with her. I cared for her just the way she was. And I cared for Sarah. I love that little girl like she was my own daughter. And maybe that was why I had been pushing for us to get married so soon. I wanted us to officially become a family and live life happily.

But before we can go further, I need to find out what is Luna up to. Her whole compassionate vibe that she had for me had vanished. And last night proved it. I left her alone to sleep with Sarah on the couch, and then I set up the back deck to show her how much she means to me. But even after a short dance and a few short kisses, she was closed off. She didn't even care to hold me in bed after that and curled up into a ball, sobbing quietly. She didn't realize I was listening to her in silence. She has a secret, and I have faith that she'll be honest with me about it.