·Chapter Fifty-One·

*Luna*

*Luna*

As Amir's body was between my legs and he pressed forward, my stomach quivered at the notion of finally kissing these lips I had the pleasure of tasting for eight months. My soul leaped, and I felt like I was flying with him; soaring into our own private paradise.

And nothing has happened. We haven't started coughing, or getting sick like others have. He moved in as gently as he could, carefully not pushing too hard on my sore bones. Unable to take it anymore, I pushed him back and tore off my gloves as quickly as I could so I could run my fingertips along his skin before it was too late. Our moment could be ruined any minute now.

A heartbeat passed, and he tore off his gloves, running his fingers around my jawline and across my forehead.

"Wait..." I whispered softly near his chin. "This is crazy. You being here, and us kissing, finally tracing our fingertips on our flesh. In person." I quietly laughed and smiled, then connected my lips back to his. "I love you, Amir. I love you so much, and this shouldn't be happening, but it is."

He slid a hand down my shaky limb, curling his fingers around my arm. "This moment is a dream come true, Moon. I'll always love you. And kissing you for the first time has only been something I've ever dreamed about. Somehow we are doing this. And the consequences haven't affected us."

I pulled his body in harder and buried my fingers into the nape of his neck, nipping at his ear. "That's because we are the exception, Amir. Our love is the exception."

"The exception? I have no idea..." He stopped himself in the middle of his questioning and tuned into my mind, into the memory of my last conversation with Cami.

Before being thrown onto this floor, Cami opened up to me about certain paired partners.

"Some people who are tethered together are immune to the effects that happens between us," Cami explained as we sat on her bed. "Some pairs may hold each other and never get sick. They can even live together."

"How do the pairs know if it works for them?" I asked, hoping Amir and I were immune to what would happen if we met in person. It was only one of my wildest dreams, though.

"If two people who are paired together meet and nothing happens for twenty seconds, maybe two minutes or ten minutes tops, then they'll be immune to our conflict. They are one of the few who can be around one another and never have to worry about getting ill." Wow. I never knew that actual pairs are together in the world. "Maybe you and Prince will be an exception." I laughed and dabbed her elbow when she called Amir 'Prince'. I was always calling him that when I was around her.