·Chapter Forty-Nine·

*Luna*

*Luna*

Part of me still believed that I was hallucinating. I would wake up, and Amir was just an illusion. I'd go back to being alone with my thoughts and haunted by the hallucination that I experienced last time. This didn't seem real. He couldn't be in the same room as me. How? How did he get in, and where did he get those brown scrubs? Everyone else was wearing white or tan colors, but was in a separate color.

And what truly surprised me was that Amir strolled in like he was part of the staff. Dr. Kim glanced at me and then down to his laptop, laying it down on a counter after sitting in his chair. He typed something in, but Amir and I kept our eyes locked.

He was here.

I gasped.

His hair was darker in person, his eyes were lighter than they'd always been, and his height was taller. Amir's scent oozed my way, and it nearly caused me to fall backwards. He smelled like fresh-cut grass with a mix of clean laundry. I couldn't look anywhere else and stayed hypnotized by his gaze.

"Ms. Carlyle?" Dr. Kim said, distracting me from my thoughts.

My emotions felt like a volcano just erupted from my insides and caused me to feel dizzy. Oh God, I think I'm feeling the effects of Amir being a just a few feet apart from me. He was even more attractive in person. His heart and soul were attractive. I kept believing that I must be asleep and when I wake, I'd be on a bed strapped down. Amir knew he couldn't be so close to me; we were a danger to each other. But yet, he was right in front of me, not moving an inch.

"Luna?" Dr. Kim murmured.

"Sir?" I pushed my thoughts away and glanced back at the doctor.

"Luna, this is a geneticist from India, Ibrahim Khan."

My frantic gaze shifted back to Amir's, and he cleared his throat. "I'm from Pakistan, sir."

"Oh, sorry," Dr. Kim said, gazing at his side. "When I was looking into the referrals that were sent about you, I thought it said India. That's the other Khan who works in the children's lab." 

I loved how Amir came in here using his middle name. In my heart, I was Mrs. Amir Ibrahim Khan. I had to shift my mind elsewhere and concentrate on what was about to happen now. My future husband was distracting.

"It's all right, doctor. I just rolled in three days ago, and I'm still working my way around." So Amir came in a three days ago? I wished I knew the exact date, but everyone had a problem with that.

"Okay, well, this is Luna Carlyle. Her file is online, and you can read through my notes about her condition. She is twenty-three, and her birthday is approaching soon. She is in here for-"