XXX

Chapter thirty

•Morgan•

It's been two hours or so since Parker and I have been back. He's been watching TV in the living room while I'm baking a cake in the kitchen.

As I put it in the oven, my phone starts ringing. "Hello?" I answer, not looking at the caller ID.

"Hi", Ava's shaky voice replies.

"Ava?"

"Yeah. Um, I'm—I'm really sorry", she starts.

"No no, it's totally fine, what do you need?"

"Does your offer still stand?"

"Of course, where should I pick you up?" I put the phone on speaker as I wash my hands.

"S—same place".

"You're still there?" I ask, shocked.

"Yeah".

"Okay, I'm on my way", I hang up, grabbing my keys. "Hey Parker, Ava called me so I'm going to go pick her up" I let him know before leaving.

It doesn't take too long to get there at this time, seeing as there's no traffic. I park up in the same spot I was parked in earlier, getting out to look for Ava. When I see her, she's sat on the floor, leaning against a wall with her legs up to her chest. "Hey", I crouch down in front of her. "Have you been here the whole two hours?" She nods. "Why didn't you call me sooner?"

"I didn't want to bother you", she takes my extended hand to help her up. I don't fail to notice how she keeps pulling her sleeves down if they so much as move a centimetre up her hand.

"I already told you, you don't have to worry about that. You won't be bothering me at all. I actually get really bored during day so feel free to text me whenever".

"Thanks again for helping me", she pauses. "Why are you helping me?"

"It just felt like the right thing to do", she smiles at my response. During the journey, I tell her a few things about me and she tells me some things about her. I've already learnt that her full name is Ava Jane Wilson, she's 21 and works as a bartender on some nights and a waitress in a diner on other days. She also told me that she called her friend but he didn't pick up, but Dr. Jen walked by and saw her; she's who convinced her to call me.

She tenses when I ask her why she works two jobs but keeps her answer brief and tells me she needs the money. I can tell it's something else but I don't want to ask and scare her away. I'm honestly surprised I haven't already.

"Woah", she says as I pull into the drive. "This is your house?"

"It's actually my boyfriend's. He's not home right now, it's only Parker and I", she nods as we walk into the house, heading straight for the living room. "Ava this is Parker, Parker this is Ava", I introduce them before remembering, "fuck, my cake", I rush into the kitchen to see that it's already been taken out of the oven.