XL

⚠️TW: i don't mean to spoil anything but mentions of suicide⚠️

Chapter forty

•Morgan•

My slumber is disrupted by my phone constantly vibrating from the nightstand. Lazily, I untangle myself from Romeo's arms, crawling over to grab it. I see an unknown number has been trying to call me for an hour, and a message from Parker.

Parker: It's his mother. Come to the hospital now

My heart begins to beat rapidly in my chest, unsure of what's going on. I shoot out of bed, switching my pyjama pants for some sweatpants, however leaving Romeo's hoodie on. I contemplate waking him up, but when he groggily mumbles, "babe?" And tries to reach out for me, I decide against it, leaving him to sleep. "Where are you?" He mumbles, again.

"Go back to sleep, baby", I run my fingers through his hair for a second before pulling the blanket further up his body.

"What are you doing?" He asks as I go back to his closet, trying to find a pair of socks in the dark.

"I was getting a little cold so I got an extra sweater", I lie. "Do you want one?"

"Mm, yes please", I take a grey one, throwing it over to him. I see him not make any effort to put it on, so I walk over to do it for him.

"Give me your other arm", I tell him once I put it over his head and one arm through. He rolls from his stomach to his back, holding his other arm out for me to put it on, pulling it down his torso once I'm done.

"Thank you", he puts his arm out again, to see if I've layed back down, but when he feels nothing, he whines; I throw him my pillow. He wraps his arms around it, pressing his face to the top. I'm pretty sure he's smelling it.

"I'm going to get some water. Go back to sleep", I whisper as I watch him fall back to sleep. My voice shakes, involuntarily.

As I walk out the door, I start to think I should've woken him up, but as I check the time, I realise he'll have to wake up in a few hours for work, anyway.

Parker's mom didn't specify what hospital, so I drive straight to the closest, and largest, hospital in town. And luckily, he's there. "Parker Jones", I tell the receptionist after she asks who I'm looking for.

"May I ask your relation to him?"

"Aunt", I answer, a little too quickly.

"You're his—".

"Yeah", I nod, cutting her off.

"Alright, then. He's in room 227, upstairs and straight down the hall", I rush to his room, finally reaching his room, out of breath.