XLVI

Chapter forty six

•Morgan•

It's been an hour.

There's one hour left.

We tried contacting his mom however, we couldn't get through to her. We left multiple voicemails hoping she'd listen to one, but we had no luck. Parker claims he doesn't want her here but I can tell he secretly wants some sort of indication that she actually cares.

He's getting weaker by the minute, breathing heavier and his eyes drooping shut.

We called Max and Megan who are now on their way. Max is picking Megan up from school, bringing her over here as fast as he can.

"I don't get it", Romeo whines as Parker attempts to teach him how to do origami, and I'm pretty sure they're using Parker's medical papers from the end of his hospital bed.

"No, look. You fold this piece there", he guides Romeo, telling him how to do it. "That piece fold over there—yeah. See, you got it", Romeo holds up his swan which falls apart straight away.

"I can't do it", he throws it on the floor, sighing dramatically, making Parker and I laugh.

"Oh my god", the door bursts open and Megan walks in, stopping once she sees Parker's weak body laying on the bed. I turn to Romeo, tilting my head toward the door and helping him up to leave them alone for a minute.

"It's okay", Romeo puts an arm around my shoulders, rubbing my arm as we take a seat on the chairs opposite the room, again.

"Hey", Max runs over, out of breath. "Sorry, I—I got lost", he takes a moment to catch his breath. "Okay, I'm good", he comes to take a seat next to us. "How is he?"

I shake my head against Romeo's shoulder. "Not good".

"I'm sorry, M", he reaches his hand out to take mine.

We stay outside for a while, while we let Megan and Parker talk until she rushes out of his room, crying. "What's wrong?" I stand up, immediately. She points to the room, unable to speak. "P?" I push the doors open, barging in. He's laying there, struggling to breathe, the heart rate monitor getting slower by the second. "Parker", my voice breaks.

"Morgan", he croaks, smiling weakly.

"Parker, no", I take his hand, tears dripping down my face.

"I'll be okay, I promise. I'll be with my mom—", he pauses. "My real mom, and my dad. I'll be fine", I drop my head, looking down at the bed before looking back up at him just as Romeo limps through the door. "I love you and thank you for taking care of me—both of you", his hand drops from mine, not having enough strength to hold it anymore.

"No—no, Parker", I cry, turning to hug Romeo as the heart rate monitor goes flat. The door opens and a loud sob rings out.

Dr. Marsh.