XLI

⚠️brief mention of suicide⚠️

Chapter forty one

•Romeo•

On my way back from Subway, I send a text to Morgan, letting her know I'm on my way back. When she doesn't reply, I assume she's asleep, seeing as she did wake up very early this morning.

As I pull up, I walk into the house, calling out for her. I leave the food in the kitchen before running up to our room, but she's not there. "Babe?" I call out again, checking in the bathroom before walking down the hall, checking in every room along the way until I see her. "There you are. What are you doing in he—", I stop when I see her asleep with tear stained cheeks. She's clutching a book to her chest. The same book she was reading after we went to dinner with my parents.

I walk over to her, taking a seat on the edge of the bed, by her legs. I reach my hand to to tuck a stray strand of hair behind her ear, careful not to wake her up. "Babe?" I whisper. She suddenly jolts up, breathing heavily. "Babe, it's okay, you're okay. It's me", I move over to sit next to her, pulling her in for a hug. She clutches my hoodie, holding on to me as tight as possible, almost as if she's scared I'm going to leave. "It's okay, baby. I'm right here", I rub my hand up and down her arm until she pulls away.

"I'm—I'm gonna go to the bathroom", she sniffs, standing up to walk over to the en-suite.

Out of curiosity, I look down at the book. It's black with a small M carved into it. Contemplating for a second, I open it to the first page.

Dr. Jen told me to write this. I don't see how it will help but I guess it's worth a shot.

I read it over and over, unsure of what it could mean, before eventually deciding to flip to the next page.

August 9th 2013
15 years old

I won't ever be able to see my family again.

This is stupid, I don't know why Dr. Jen is making me write this.

I flip through the next few pages, unsure of what they mean until Morgan walks out of the bathroom. "What are you doing?"

"I was just looking through this", she takes it from me.

"How much did you read?" She seems panicked.

"I only read the first few pages", she relaxes as she puts it away. "What—what does it mean?" She turns around, quickly.

"What?"

"What does it mean? Why did you say you won't ever see your family again? And isn't Dr. Jen the same therapist Parker goes to?" Her pained expression breaks my heart. "I'm sorry", I pull her over to the bed, wrapping my arms around her.