XXXIV

Chapter thirty four

•Morgan•

"I'll see you later, babe", Romeo whispers to me in the morning, kissing my forehead.

"Bye", I smile, sleepily, leaning up to peck him on the lips.

I end up falling back to sleep for what feels like four hours, but only ends up being two. I stretch and sit up, leaning against the headboard to check my phone.

Four new messages.

Gabriel: Wanna come for lunch today?

I decide to check my second message and not reply, seeing as he took days to reply back to me.

Yes, I'm petty like that when it comes to my brother.

Dad: Morgan, just checking in.
How's everything going? Keep your head in the game, this is only a mission.
Dad: Also, try and sneak back home for lunch today, we're making nachos.
Dad: And remember, don't catch feelings.

I reread the message a few times, with one line sticking in my head.

Don't catch feelings.

I think it's a bit too late for that.

Fuck.

I jump, slightly startled by my phone ringing. Gabriel's name flashes on the screen.

"What do you want?" I answer.

"Oh hello, Morgan. A pleasure, like always", he replies in an odd voice.

"Why are you speaking like that?" I chuckle.

"I was trying to be posh", he says in a horrible British accent.

"Alright alright, stop", I continue to laugh at him. "Is there a reason you called?"

"You didn't answer me so I was wondering if you were going to come for lunch. Dad's making your favourite", he sings.

"Hm, I'll think about it", I tease. "No I'm kidding, of course I'll come".

"Alright great. See you whenever", he hangs up.

"Right", I mumble to myself, standing up and going to get dressed. I decide to wear a plain black sweater and jeans. Suddenly, my phones starts ringing, again. "Hello?" I press answer and put it on speaker.

"Hey, babe", I can hear the smile in Romeos voice as he speaks. "What you doing?"

"Just getting ready to go get some lunch. What are you doing?" I fumble with my belt as I try to put it on.

"Finished all the paperwork I had to do, and have a minute before needing to go down to do the rest of the work, so I thought I'd call you", I hear shuffling on the other line. "Fuck", he curses. "I gotta go, babe. I'm sorry".