XXXVI

Chapter thirty six

•Morgan•

"Thanks for coming. Love you", I step back out of Hayley's embrace.

"Love you too. See you tomorrow, right?" I nod.

"Yeah, meet me at the coffee shop after I finish. Ava and Sam are coming, and you're bringing Jake and Hayden, yeah?" She nods, confirming. "Okay, bye", I hug her again before she leaves. Everyone had already left earlier, but of course, Hayley insisted on staying. I opened all of the gifts I received from everyone, loving every one of them. Romeo also got me a pair of diamond earrings and a mini shoulder bag to hold my phone and money, as well as my bracelet.

"You pick the movie", Parker hands me the remote as I walk into the living room, taking a seat next to Romeo. "It's your birthday".

"Yeah but I always pick the movie. You guys pick", I pause. "But not a bad one".

"Okay, here", he puts on Grown Ups 2.

We end up talking about random things throughout the movie, until I feel my eyes become droopy. I snuggle closer into Romeos side, pulling his hoodie sleeves—that I'm wearing—over my hands to keep me warm. "You tired?" He whispers to me. I nod against his chest. "Go to sleep", he kisses the top of my head, fiddling with my hair.

Just as I'm about to fall asleep, I hear the doorbell ring. "I'll get it", Parker gets up, pausing the movie. I hear light murmurs from down the hall before hearing Parker call out for me. "Uh, Morgan! Come here please".

I rub my eyes, pushing myself off of Romeo and out of his warm embrace. "What?" I look at the woman stood before me. She has straight, light brown hair and freckles. The lady from the therapists office. "What are you doing here?" I ask. "Better yet, who even are you?"

"Parker?" She ignores me, turning to face him.

"Yeah?"

"You're coming to live with me. Go pack your bags", she blurts.

"Excuse me?" I blink. "Who do you think you are coming in here and trying to take him away?"

"I'm his mother", she hands me a piece of paper with the details.

"You're—what?" I'm lost for words.

"No, you're not", Parker states, boldly, taking a step forward. "My parents are dead", he looks her up and down. "And you look pretty much alive to me".

"I'm you're biological—", he cuts her off.

"Yeah, I got that part", he nods. "I'm not going anywhere with you. Please leave", he steps back again.

"You heard him. You have no right coming here and trying to take him away".

"Actually, as his mother, I do have a right to take him with me until he's 16, which, he is not. Especially now that the foster parents are no longer in the picture", she looks at me with a sickening smile.