Comfort

-It's just a fucking suit!-

-EXACTLY. It is just a fucking suit, so why the fuck are you getting so upset???- you spat at him.

-BECAUSE I NEED IT. GOD!!- he threw his head back, yelling in frustration.

-Well...then how about YOU go pick it up like the GROWN MAN you are!?-

-I ASKED YOU! YOU NEVER DO ANYTHING FOR ME AND THIS ONE TIME I NEEDED YOU TO...-

-I NEVER DO ANYTHING FOR YOU??? ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?!?- your voice grew hoarse, and you snapped.

-I DO ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING AROUND HERE, I WAKE UP AND YOU'RE NOT HERE, I COME BACK FROM WORK AND YOU'RE NOT HERE, WHEN WAS THE LAST FUCKING TIME YOU TOOK ME OUT HUH???-

-We went to that Association Ball two months ago!!- his eyes widened.

-IT WAS A WORK EVENT THAT WASN'T A DATE! It was so boring i actually almost FELL ASLEEP.-

-Well what the fuck do you want me to do?! What?? Quit?? Huh? So you can feel better about getting fired?!-

You were taken aback, his words shot straight through your gut and choked out the words on your throat, making a deafening silence fall like a bucket of cold water onto both of you. Both your chests were rising and falling with the adrenaline of bottled feelings finally getting loose.

You blinked forming tears away, and your eyes twitched and squinted, taking in your life around you, newly fired from a decent supposed-to-be-permanent job, in an apartment you hated but settled for, with a boyfriend for whom you suddenly felt nothing for, and you hadn't felt nothing for in a while.

And you were tired, exhausted.

-You are a selfish irresponsible prick, and i am fucking tired of making excuses for you.- your words trembled through gritted teeth.

A small part of you hoped that he'd come back to his senses and hugged you, gave you a real apology for once, and actually tried to be better. But that wasn't Nick's way.

Instead he scoffed at you and placed his hands on his hips.

-We're done.- you said without thinking.

-What?-

-I can't be like this anymore. I can't stand it. We're done.- a single tear managed to roll out down your cheek.

You wiped it off in a quick swipe of your palm, walking past him before you punched him in his furrowed brows, how dare he look at you like he hasn't been neglecting you and pushing you away for months?

Like he hadn't been snapping at you and disrespecting you only to try and make it up with gifts later or by trying to be funny, never once a real apology. Like he hadn't been taking out all his stress on ignoring you and dismissing you when you tried to be there for him, or when you needed him to be there, like right about today when you barely made it into the newsroom before you got called to a meeting with your boss. The same boss that had congratulated you on your column just last week, telling you that they were "letting you go", the fancy term for kicking you out.

-What so you're just gonna throw away 3 years of relationship for a suit?-

I already threw away those years being with you.

-Yes. I'm fed up Nick. I've had it up to here with your lack of communication.-

-You're on that again? Babe i told you I'd work on it, i need...time- his voice had suddenly come down three decibels.