Playfulness Maybe?

Coming home felt great, right now it felt like escape, and that was kind of what you needed, you didn't want to think or do much, you just wanted to feel fine. Horry was happy to see you, you missed him, you always felt a bit guilty leaving with him here, stuck with your mom forever since the accident, but he seemed okay.

Hugging your mom was a lot tougher than you thought, mostly because you had forgotten how much you needed it two nights ago at the hotel, and a few seconds in the tears had come back, but you wiped them off quickly as she cupped your face in her hands.

-Oh honey...it's okay- she stroked your cheek with her thumb, a smile on her face- I'm happy you're here...-

-Yeah, me too...- you whispered, and you meant it.

You didn't bake a whole chocolate cake, although your mom did buy you ingredients so you could make your soft red velvet cake to the Altman's home, apparently Mrs Altman loved it. Baking was your all time hobby, you always had a thing for it, it was fun and it felt rewarding, and you were actually rather good at it, you weren't good at many things so baking was a bit of a safe space.

-The baker's back!- you heard your older brother enter the kitchen as you were finishing icing the cake.

He smiled and you giggled at his comment.

-If you touch the icing i will chop your fingers- you raised a brow.

-I missed you too...-

You shook your head as you glided one last swipe of the icing on the top and checked it was even, once you were satisfied with it you lined the top with a circle of cake crumbs, simple but pretty. A small smile took place on your face as you walked back to appreciate your work, it had been a while since you'd baked, the last month was incredibly busy at the newsroom and the little free time you had your eyes were too tired and your body couldn't contain a standing position for any longer, writing and editing columns was rarely a sitting down job like everyone thought.

But now here you were, and you still had the touch, you couldn't stop looking at it as you washed your hands and straightened your dress, happy with the tall fluffy cake you'd made. You checked the time, you were technically five minutes late but well, it was across the street, so it was more than fine, you didn't want to be the first one there anyways.

-Ready honey?- your mom came down the stairs, sliding a bracelet on her wrist.

Crossing the street, cake in hand, you wondered if maybe you were a little underdressed, but your mom had assured you the formal clothing had been on the day of the funeral, so you were just fine, you had thrown in a little makeup, not too much but enough to look decent.

A man just a little shorter than Philip opened the door, and you smiled small while trying to remember who he was, the name came back to you when he spoke, Judd Altman. He also took a second to recognize you but when he did he squeezed your arm and guided you in, you hadn't been inside the Altman house many times, it was nice, and big, had a great kitchen that was now filled with food and coffee.

Sticking next to your mom, feeling a bit like a stranger, you exchanged smiles and hellos with a bunch of familiar and unfamiliar faces, the rest of the Altman family was sitting in chairs in a line, in front of everyone, you frowned, you guessed maybe it was part of the "Jewish ritual bullshit" Philip mentioned. Mrs Altman waved at your mom and stood up when she saw you.

-Heeeey y/n! Long time no see my dear- she half hugged you and kissed your cheek.

-Hi Mrs Altman- you smiled at her- I'm sorry for your loss...-

-Oh thank you, i feel better now that all my family is here, you have no idea how tough it's for us parents to be far from our kids...-

You nodded as she spoke, keeping an empathetic smile on your face, she was a nice lady, sometimes very lively.