Care and Affection

Philip's POV:

Philip wasn't good at consolation, when his brother Judd found out his cheating wife was pregnant, he didn't know what to tell him, luckily his brother just wanted to be alone. Last night had been the same with her, he wasn't sure what to say, but he was even less sure what had happened when she spoke through the phone and that feeling scared him more than the other.
He knew one thing, if he ever saw Nick again in his goddamn life, he would break his nose, and a few ribs while he was at it, he also knew another thing, he didn't want her to be alone, he wanted her to be with him.

Her voice through the phone made his stomach tie into a tight knot, she was crying, her voice was shaky, a sad whisper, and when he opened the door the knot in his stomach came undone only to form again around his chest, she looked so small, so hurt, hunched over at the door with swollen eyes, a red nose and a curled lip, Philip's first instinct was to hold her, support her with the strength of his arms hoping to keep in place the pieces that were cracking, threatening to fall apart.

While he felt hugging her would be useful, he wasn't sure what else to do, he felt like he should say something, he was so worried about her, he could feel her crying in his chest, the knot got tighter, he took a deep breath and mentally scolded himself, forcing his stupid mouth to say anything.

-It's okay, you're okay...-

If he could slap himself he would've. She clearly wasn't okay, that was one of the stupidest things he could've said, but deep inside, he really wanted her to be okay.

-He wrote "cheater" on my dad's hoodie...- he heard her whisper.

Philip's eyes twitched, gazing at nothing as he angled his chin to rest on her head, his breaths deep as he inhaled the impotence he felt, he couldn't do anything, he thought for a split second of driving all the way to Chicago to beat the shit out of that dickhead, but that wouldn't work, he needed to be here, with her. She needed him, and although he couldn't do much, he'd do everything he could.

He thought of the basics, food and water, he wished he had more than just leftover pizza, but he was relieved to hear it was perfect to her. As he walked in his room he stopped to look at her, she was sitting over the frame of the open window, her knees up against her chest, holding a cigarette while she looked outside, wearing only his shirt.

To his own surprise, he didn't find himself fighting back his own horny impulses, because yes she looked hot, yes he had pictured her wearing his shirt and smoking a cigarette on his room, but not like this, not when she looked so emotionally worn out, that wasn't how he wanted it to go, he wanted her hair to be messy from his doing in bed, her lips to stretch in a giggle as he teased her, and her eyes to be hazy from a recent climax, not tears.

And still, he admired her for a little longer before walking over and handing her the plate, grabbing a cigarette for himself, only to lean against the frame and still watch her, he could tell she was deep in thought, and he didn't want to interrupt unless she wanted him too, so he simply smoked, listening to the distant crickets and watching her eat.

He felt his own tiredness drape over him, and he yawned, and by obvious reflex she yawned back, and so he figured now all they had left to do was get some rest. He watched her inhale what was left of the cigarette before they slid under the covers, she was so nice to sleep next to, like a cozy little pillow with soft warm skin, he could feel himself already melting next to her when she spoke.

-Do you miss your dad?-

The question took him a bit by surprise, making him open his eyes again, he did miss his dad, he missed him so fucking much somedays, Philip tried not to think about all the time he should've spent with his dad before he passed away, he fucking hated himself for being too fucking selfish to show up, visit him once in a while. His dad didn't really show or say much, but he had done well in some areas, Philip wondered if he would've liked her, he probably would've, she was pretty damn great.