CHAPTER 17

"Those were two years ago." You said, looking back to the players again.

You were a top player back when you were on your middle and junior school. You decided to stop playing and focus on your studies in your high school.

Your family didn't stopped you from your decision. They always support you for everything you do, and you were very thankful for that.

"But I never stopped practicing. So that thing is still on me."

▪■▪

"Who's the Captain, anyways?" You asked, looking at their other players at the bench.

Nekomata looks at that side too and called someone, "Kuroo!"

A tall man with a bed hair jogged towards you and his coach. "Coach." He said.

Nekomata looks at you, "This is Kuroo Tetsurō, Middle Blocker and their Captain."

You looked up at the tall guy and he's looking at you with his cat like eyes.

He then smirked flirtatiously, "Nice to meet you." He said, offering his hand for a shake.

You blink your eyes repeatedly, slightly blushing, "Ukai (Y/N), K-karasuno's assistant technical coach." You said, taking his hand.

He still have that flirty smile in his face while shaking your hand, and he's not ripping his piercing look at you.

You were the first to break the eye contact and tried to pull your hand back but Kuroo tightened his grip.

You looked at him again, "M-my ha-hand..." you said in a shy tone.

He narrowed his eyes and let go of your hand, "I thought you're their manager." He said, "Coach, can I sit beside her?"

Nekomata smirked and nodded, "You can but you should ask the lady, not me."

Kuroo nodded and points the empty seat beside you, "Can I?"

You lower your gaze and took a glance at the seat beside you before nodding.

He sighed before sitting beside you, "Our team were so jealous because they thought that Karasuno have two managers but I guess they'll go rampage especially that idiot as soon as they know that you're a coach." Kuroo said, pointing the mohawk haired guy at the court.

You look at the person he is pointing and let out a small chuckle, "Why?"

"Well." He started, "We don't have any girls in our team. Karasuno's very fortunate."

"You can just ask Nekomata-sensei for a manager, you know?" You said.

Kuroo looks at you then to his coach, who is laughing because of your comment. "Really, coach?" Nekomata just nodded, "Why didn't you tell us?!"

▪■▪

You and Kuroo instantly clicked so everytime that he got subbed out, he will sit beside you and talk about anything.

You were enjoying his company because he's a good talker plus a funny guy.

"Ah, I see. I can feel that you're very good at persuading people." You said, chuckling.

"W-what? I don't know what you are saying." He said, crossing his arms.

You laughs and hit his arm playfully, "Yes, you are. Maybe I'll say yes in no time if you ask me to be your manager for the meantime."

He looks at you expectantly, "Will you?"

You smirked, "No." You said, looking at the game again.

Nekoma is on their set point, whilst Karasuno is two points behind them.

Nekoma turned the table.

"Aw. You just shattered my expectation, (Y/N)-chan." He said, then pouts.

You laugh but then stopped, when Nekoma's number 7 successfully blocked Hinata and Kageyama's quick attack. "Whoa!" You exclaimed.

Both men beside you smirked. They just won the first set.

Nekoma's team gathered around you and their coach, "Good job blocking that quick. It was really a great idea to mark our number ten. I didn't know something would work to stop it." You said, praising their blockers. You then look at their setter, "Your setter is very wise." You said, smiling at him.

He shyly looks at you for a second then looks at his side, "A-arigato." He said.

Before the second set started, Teketora Yamamoto - the mohawk haired guy, dragged Kuroo to the side of the gym. "D-do you know that girl?! I saw you laughing with her already! What's her name? Is she really a manager of that team?!" He bombarded.

Kuroo hit Yamamoto's back and starts walking back to the court whilst laughing. "She's their coach, and you should ask her her name, don't ask me."

Yamamoto froze, "C-COACH?!" He exclaimed.

... minutes passed and the game started again. Hinata's spikes were blocked again and again by the same blocker.

"That block isn't just a fluke." You said, looking at the players. "You know sensei, for now, that attack that Shoyo is doing is the only way he can do to fight his opponents far taller than himself. For him, it was his sole and most powerful attack. But now that his spike is getting stopped by only single blocker, I don't know what he's feeling right now."

Also looking at his players, Nekomata answers you, "It's the spirit-breaking human wall. The more you hit it, the more your spirit breaks."

Whilst he is talking, your gaze fell on the other side of the court and you were shocked at what you were seeing.

Hinata. He's smiling.

"Oh! He's smiling." Nekomata said.

"Well I guess both of us were wrong, sensei." You said, smiling at the sight.