Chapter 3

Pounding. That's all I heard. I opened my eyes to a pounding sound coming from somewhere in my house.

I groaned as I got up, grabbing a sweatshirt from the chair in the corner of my room and slipped it over my head. As soon as I left my room, I knew it was my front door. And I knew exactly who it was.

I opened the door pastel purple hair and freckles, arms filled with shopping bags.

"Good morning, Kira. What can I do for you?" I opened the door for her, turning immediately to walk to the kitchen with her on my heels.

"Well you never told me how your date went, so I was forced to intrude on your business by force and bully it out of you. Also, do you have milk?" My cheeks heated up at the mention of my night with Harry.

I heard Kira set down all the bags she was carrying and I watched her unpack them. She pulled eggs, vanilla, and a loaf of bread out of one bag, fruits out of a second, and orange juice and champagne out of a third. A grin pulled across my face, I knew what was going on here. We hadn't cooked brunch like this since we were in college. We usually did it when one of us needed cheering up, but we used it to celebrate something as well.

I helped hurry the process and grabbed a large bowl, a pan, and two plates.

"It went fine. There's not really anything to report." She stopped what she was doing, pursed her lips and raised her eyebrows at me.

"That's bullshit and we both know it. He invited you to his house. Spill." She really wasn't going to let up.

"Can we at least make brunch first? You woke me up so I deserve french toast and mimosas at the very least. I'll tell you everything after we eat."

"Fine, but I'm holding you to that." She pointed a finger at me. I raised my hands in surrender and took two glasses from the cupboards. "Put on some music. The day is too good to drink in silence." Music was crucial to brunch.

I picked my phone up off the counter. "What are you feeling today?"

"Give me 80's. Something upbeat and dancy."

"Coming right up."

I connected my phone to my speaker and scrolled through my music. "Old Time Rock and Roll" started playing through the speaker and I watched Kira's freckles move as she smiled to the piano intro.

She started to nod her head, me nodding along with her as I mixed us both mimosas. I smelled the mixture for the french toast as vanilla filled every free space in my kitchen.

"Can you grab me another fork or tongs or something?" I sauntered over to the opposite side of the kitchen and grabbed her the tongs, giving them two test clicks, and dancing back toward her. I put the tongs in one hand, and a mimosa in her other.

I grabbed a knife and a cutting board, pulling the various berries she brought. She brought strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, all my favorites. I opened the pack of strawberries, cutting off the tops and cutting out the core, my hips moving to the beat of the music. I hear a humming coming from behind me and turned to see Kira dancing where she stood ad she dipped the bread in the mixture she had made, taking a sip at the same time. I followed in suit.

"Today' music ain't got the same soul, I like that old time rock 'n' roll!" She hollered out, eliciting a laugh from me.

"Charlie will you fill me up again? I gotta watch the food." I set down the knife and grabbed the glass she was holding in her hand, finishing my drink at the same time. Might as well.

The song came to an end as I was finishing our drinks, playing The Runaways immediately after. Our dancing increased and by the end of the third song, french toast was done, berries were cut up, and mimosas were slowly turning into champagne with a splash of orange juice.