Chapter 5

Harry had texted  the next morning telling me he had forgotten his wallet with me. I had forgotten too. So I stopped by the shop before work.

I couldn't stay long and he wasn't even open yet when I got there. I walked up to the front door, and knocked because it was still locked. I saw him poke his head out from the back room, a smile spreading across his face when he saw me.

He jogged to the door, unlocking it quickly so he could let me in. He had a bandana in his hair, keeping it out of his face. It made him look younger. 

"I have a present for you." I said as I dug around my purse. I had to remember to clean it out, things were getting lost.

"How lucky am I." He held the door open for me to take a step in.

I found his wallet and held it in front of my face. His smile didn't waiver as he took it from my hand and slipped it into his back pocket.

"I'm sorry I held it captive all night. I hope you didn't need it at all."

"Forgetting it gave me the chance to see you at the beginning of my day rather than the end, so I don't mind either way."

His voice sounded raspier than usual. I don't think he had been awake long. And the way his words sounded made the butterflies that were already in my stomach start to fly away, sending chills down my entire body. My face heated up too, and I tried to hide it.

"You blush a lot. It's cute." I felt my face turn a darker shade of red when he had called me out. 

"It's just been a while since someone actually admitted they enjoy seeing me every time they see me."

"People should tell you more often." He turned toward me, looking me directly in the eyes. "I enjoy seeing you every time I see you, even if it's only for a moment. You're my favorite customer." He turned and walked behind the counter, taking a seat on his stool and setting up his register.

"Well, unfortunately for you, I'm not a customer today. Just the woman who robbed you last night and felt guilty enough to return what I stole." I put my elbows on the counter and leaned forward.

"Either way, it's a pleasure to begin my day with your eyes."

"You should probably stop being so nice soon. I might permanently turn into a tomato if you keep going on like this."

"Then you'll be the prettiest tomato I've ever seen." I couldn't help but laugh at what he had said. He had a peculiar way of speaking. I appreciated it.

"I'm going to take that as my cue to leave before I'm late to work." I stood up straight, leaving one hand on the table.

"If you must go so soon, just promise not to be a stranger. My store is always open for you." I tapped the counter, staring at my hands.

"Don't make promises you can't keep, Harry. I might just show up when you least expect it." I played with his promise a bit, knowing it won't last but still appreciating the sentiment.

I started to walk out the door.

"Have a good day, Charlie." He spoke as I started to push the door open.

"You too, Harry. Play good music today." I replied over my shoulder.

I felt his eyes watch me walk away. I even looked over my shoulder a bit as I was crossing the street to see him standing in the big windows at the front of his store, continuing to watch me until he couldn't see me anymore.

***

It had been three weeks since I saw Harry. We'd been talking most of those three weeks, but I had to admit, I missed seeing him. Especially his eyes. Their green was breathtaking.