Chapter 18

I'd been ignoring the pit in my stomach for two weeks. I knew Harry could tell something was off, but just like he said, he never pushed me to tell him. He just reassured me whenever I looked upset that he was there but he always did it in small ways. It was looks, touches, gentle kisses on whatever part of my body was closest. 

The pit didn't diminish, but it was definitely easier to ignore. It was Harry's birthday too, which gave me one more thing to focus on rather than what I was feeling.

Harry woke up particularly chipper. He'd had a smirk on his face from the second he woke up until he left for work. It was borderline shit-eating. But it was his birthday, so I let him go on acting however he was happy.

When he left for work, my work began. I conveniently had the day off. He tried to take the day off too so we could spend it together, but I'd insisted he go. Him staying home would mess up the plans I'd spent the last week pulling together.

We were surprising him tonight with a little party. I'd stolen Niall's phone number from his phone while he was asleep last week and texted him the next morning. He agreed to help immediately.

I'd asked Kira, Kimmy, and Dustin for help too. It didn't take much convincing. I'm pretty sure they loved him more than I did.

I took a quick shower, getting dressed and leaving the house by 2pm. When I got home around 4, I found Kira and Kimmy waiting for me on my couch. They went to the car and grabbed the bags I didn't have in my hands and we set everything up on the kitchen island.

I'd told Harry we were going out to dinner. Niall suggested the restaurant he works at because he knows how much Harry enjoys it. He'd even set up for our meal to be on the house. It was his present to Harry.

I'd told him to go home after he was done at the store to get nicer clothes and I would meet him there, keeping him out of my apartment. Kimmy and Kira were staying at my place all day and would let Niall in after I left. He offered to make and decorate a cake that would be waiting when Harry and I got back to my apartment.

Harry was done at 6pm, I had to leave by 6:45 so we could make it to our 8pm reservation. I was excited to surprise him. He woke up so happy and in such a good mood. I wanted to keep that going.

The girls and I made a plan for the decorations. They'd brought gifts for him as well, so we set up a little display on the living room coffee table. There weren't a lot of things since there were only a few of us, but I knew that wouldn't matter to him.

I was in the bathroom getting ready. Kira and Kimmy were moving about my apartment, music blasting as they worked. I'd appreciated them for helping me with this. I finished my makeup and slid into my dress. I'd chosen a red one tonight, grabbing the only pair of nude heels I owned. I know he liked when I dressed up

"Can someone come zip me up really quick?" I called out the door, Kira appearing a minute later.

"How are you feeling?" She pinched the bottom of my dress and slid the zipper up, smoothing the back down for me.

"Excited. It's the first birthday since we've been together. I just don't want to fuck it up, ya know?" I readjusted my hair on my shoulders. She took the necklace Harry bought me from the counter and put it around my neck to clasp it.

"He worships the ground you walk on. I've never seen someone look at another person how he looks at you. Anything you do is going to be something he loves. I don't think it's possible for you to fuck it up."

I took a deep breath, letting my eyes look over my reflection one more time. "Do I look okay?"

"You look stunning. I might have to steal this dress from you one night."