Chapter 10

I woke up to the occasional sound of paper rustling from across the room. I rolled over and let my arm rest where Harry should have been, but my arm fell flat to the bed. His body was missing beside mine. 

I opened my eyes to find him sitting at my desk, his back to me. He had his legs propped up on the corner and a book in his hands. The sun dance off his bare torso.

I sat and watched him for a few minutes. He kept his elbows propped on his hip, the book held right in front of his face. I could see part of his profile. He had a neutral expression on his face, but I could see how focused he was on the pages. He flipped another and brought the left page to the front of his face.

I slowly got out of bed, not wanting to disturb him. I tiptoed behind him and snaked my arms around his neck from behind.

"Good morning, sleepy head. It's almost 11." He kept his eyes on his book.

"Why didn't you wake me up? Have you eaten yet?" He put his book down on the desk and turned the chair toward me, pulling me into his lap.

"You were smiling in your sleep and I didn't want to wake you up if you were having a good dream. I went downstairs to get some water and I caught your mom making food. We had a very lovely conversation. She asked me if I've ever gotten a royal guard to talk."

He had an amused smile on his face. I didn't know if my mom would ever stop asking him questions, but I knew if she didn't they would only get more embarrassing and ridiculous. 

"Why am I not shocked? I'm sorry for all of her questions. She's always wanted to visit London but she's never had the chance. I swear they've been to half the countries in Europe, but they've never stopped in England. I'm not sure why though. It's always been first on her list."

He moved a piece of hair behind my ear.

"I don't mind it. I think it's actually quite amusing. She's easy to talk to as well. She's very kind."

"She is. Her kindness is one of my favorite things about her. She never yelled when I was growing up. Even when I fucked up. She never yelled at me for my mistakes. She always gave me a chance to talk first and listen to what had happened. She always trusted that I was being truthful, and I always was. She never gave me a reason to want to lie."

"She sounds a lot like my mom. I think that might be the reason I get along with your mom so well."

"She really likes you. I can tell."

"That's reassuring. I think I'm growing on your dad too. We had coffee together this morning. He, uh, still scares me a little though. He hasn't gotten rid of that look in his eyes whenever he looks at me. It's almost like he's waiting for me to do something wrong."

I took a deep breath and got up from his lap. I moved to the middle of the bed and sat cross legged, keeping my hands in my lap.

"That's because he probably is. I guess seeing your daughter half dead changes a person. He's been more protective. He looked at Dustin the same way he's been looking at you when he and Kimmy would visit me. And Dustin has always been just a friend. Imagine what he's thinking about you."

Silence filled the empty space in the room. I didn't know if what I'd said had struck a nerve or something, but I could see his brain thinking through a million different thoughts.

"Can I say something and have things not get weird between us?" He spoke slowly, not moving him his seat.

"If you want."

"I don't plan on going anywhere. Those two weeks we didn't talk after your friends found me in your apartment that one morning were horrible. I thought you had made the decision you didn't want to see me anymore. I thought about calling a million times, just to try and ease my own mind, but you said you would call so I didn't. I knew I needed to know you the second you stepped into my store. I don't want to be anywhere you're not, Charlie."