Chapter 37

"Remind me why we didn't pack last night?" We were both moving through our room, trying not to run into each other as we packed as fast as we possibly could. We were late.

"Because you couldn't keep it in your pants." I snaked around him to get to the closet. He smacked my ass as I passed in, earning a glare over my shoulder. "Watch it, I need a recovery day thanks to you."

"Don't act like you didn't like it." I rolled my eyes. "Just because your back is turned to me doesn't mean I don't know you just rolled your eyes. I know you too well, darling."

We finished packing, scrambling as we did. We woke up two hours later than we meant to because someone (Harry) forgot to set an alarm. We were driving to my grandparent's today to spend a week with my family. My grandpa wanted to pack the house full with as many people as possible.

This would be the first family holiday without my grandma.

I didn't plan on staying at their house. I didn't know if I could do it, to be honest. But my grandpa had called me a couple weeks ago and asked.

"It would mean so much to me if you and Harry stayed, bug. I know it's hard, but if I want anyone here, it's you."

And I couldn't say no. I knew how much he'd been missing my grandma. We'd talked a few times since she died and the conversation would always end up on her. We shared a lot of memories from my childhood. He told me a lot of stories from when they were kids too. They literally spent their entire lives together and this was the first time he'd been without her.

So Harry and I were driving straight there rather than going to my parent's house and driving with them. The trip there was double the drive. We packed up the car, as well as snack and a nine hour playlist that I'd made last week just for this drive. Harry and I came to an agreement. He would drive the first half, I would drive the second. He agreed reluctantly.

The drive took forever. I'd never done the whole thing in one day. We stopped at a rest stop so we could restock on our snacks and take a bathroom break, as well as switch places. I tried to take the keys from Harry, but he held them above his head where I couldn't get them. I wasn't that much shorter than him, but his arms are ridiculously long. It's an unfair advantage. I jumped to get them, but he wasn't having it.

"Give me the keys, Harry! We agreed to switch halfway!" He held them higher so I would have to jump more.

"But I want to drive. I like driving." I crossed my arms and stuck my lower lip out just a little.

"But I also want to drive. It'll give me something to focus on." He raised an eyebrow.

"Oh, so you didn't have anything to focus on even though you just spent the last five hours staring at me and then writing whatever it is you write in your journal?" I jumped for the keys again when I saw his arm bend just a little.

"Nope. Don't even know what you're talking about."

"Give me one good reason you should drive."

"I'll give you a few. First, we agreed. Second, we agreed. Third, because I'm the better driver." His jaw dropped at the third reason, looking completely offended.

"Excuse me? Since when are you the better driver?"

"Since I didn't almost drive us off the road when I saw a possum walking next to the guardrail." He shut his mouth as quickly as he opened it.

"That was one time."

"What about the time you saw a dead deer in the road and swerved into oncoming traffic to avoid hitting it? Or the time you looked at me a little too long and almost ran that red? And we can't forget the train incident."