Chapter 53

Harry slowly but surely started to feel better. Nothing was fixed, obviously, but he he was sleeping better and longer at night, he was eating more, and my eyes were blessed with his smile. And then we hit June 30th. It was the day we were supposed to get married.

He woke up sad. We knew postponing was the best choice, especially since he'd had such a hard time coping the last few months, but that didn't make it any less hard knowing we would have been married. For lack of a word or phrase good enough, it fucking sucked.

We made the best of it though. We treated ourselves to a nice dinner. It was fancy and required me to put on heels and a dress, which made harry feel better. He asked me if I would wear white since I was supposed to wear white anyway. I was still scared to wear white though since my dad dropped dead in our living room the last time I did. But today was special, so I did what he asked of me and tried to swallow the sinking feeling in my throat as he zipped up the back. He left the room for a few moments and stood in the doorway as I finished my makeup.

"Will you wear your wedding shoes? You should have worn them today anyway..." I looked to where he stood, my shoes in hand. I'd thrown them in the back of the closet where my dress was.

"But what if they get dirty? They're white, Harry."

"They won't."

"But what if they do?"

"Then we get them cleaned. If we can't do that, then I'll replace them for you. I just... I'm struggling because we moved the wedding. I just want as much of it as possible." Not being able to get married was really fucking with his head, even though we both agreed it was a good idea.

"Okay, I'll wear them. But you're paying to fix them if they get ruined." I kept working on my makeup

"And I will gladly do so." He walked to me and kneeled by my feet. He tapped my ankle to get my attention. He kept his eyes on me and held a shoe in my direction, silently asking me to step into it. He grabbed my ankle when I picked up my foot and slipped one shoe on, repeating his actions with the other one. He stood straight up. "A bit weird that I don't have to look down as much to look you in the eyes." He kissed me quickly, testing out my height. "I'm not sure how I feel about you being so tall."

"It's literally three extra inches, Harry."

"An extra three inches can make a very big difference." He tried not to crack a smile as he talked. We were no longer talking about how tall I was in my shoes.

"Get it together, Styles. We have places to be." I turned back to the mirror to make sure I was in order.

"I think we could be a little late to our reservations." He moved behind me and pushed me against the counter. My hands hit either side of the sink to brace myself as hit pushed my dress up my thighs. I pushed back against him, feeling everything he was thinking.

"What do you think my plan for after dinner was? The sooner we go, the sooner we can come home, you know." His head fell to my shoulder.

"Damn you for having an agenda that makes more sense than mine."

"I'm glad we've continued to prove that I'm the more sensible one, and as much as I'd love for you to bend me over the counter, it's already on my list of things to do. Sort yourself out." I turned in his arms and kissed him just enough to drive him a little more crazy before disappearing from the bathroom. I felt him watch me leave.

He came out a few minutes later with red cheeks and a small scowl. He grabbed his keys from the table by the door.

We'd chosen an Italian place across town. I'd been and he hadn't, but he trusted my judgement. Niall also put in a good word, so that didn't hurt.