Chapter 42

- Ellie's Pov -

"Mummy, Auntie DD's dragging Uncle Bonbon around" Kiara pointed in their direction. Diane dragged Ban up onto the main table. Diane did a neck slice towards the DJ and Gowther turned the music off.
"Diane will you get off me" I heard Ban. I craned my neck around everyone to see what was going on "Diane, Will you please chill" I rubbed the bridge of my nose. Meliodas looked at me funny.
"It's time for your speech. Now get up there" Diane shoved Ban.
"Auntie DD is very bossy today" Kiara spoke as she stood between me and Meliodas.
"Can I at least have a microphone?" Ban asked as he adjusted his outfit. I took a seat at the head table. Kiara was sat on Meliodas's lap. Let's face it, She can't sit on mine.
"Nope, sorry" Diane grinned as she walked away to her seat.
"You are a pain in my ass, Serpent" Ban sighed as grabbed a glass of champagne and a fork. He tapped the glass loudly and the entire hall turned their gaze towards him "Hello everyone, My name is Ban and I am the best man. Well, What an emotional day it has been. Hasn't it? I mean, even the cake was in tiers. I will ask that you keep the clapping and cheering to a minus, I've got a terrible hangover. I know, I know. I shouldn't drink heavily before a big event but I couldn't let Meliodas drink alone could I? What kind of friend would that make me?"
*Laughing*
I grinned as I looked around the room. Everyone was grinning.
"I did ask for a microphone but I wasn't allowed one, SO PEOPLE AT THE BACK, THE SILENCE FROM THESE LOT AT THE FRONT SHOULD REASSURE YOU THAT YOU AIN'T MISSING OUT ON ANYTHING!"
More laughter came from the crowd.
"Despite Meliodas asking me to be his best man, I never received a formal invitation to this day. I really hope I haven't eaten someone else's meal by mistake. If I did, blame our groom here. Cheapskate, Saving himself a quid on a stamp"
*Laughter*
"I must admit that I am not accustomed to public speaking. Up until I was asked to be best man, I thought a toastmaster was some sort of kitchen appliance"
"Oh god. that was a terrible joke" Meliodas mumbled as he chuckled.
"A fair few people, including Ellie. Have asked how I will cope now that my best friend is married and will spend all his time with his Mrs. Gotta be honest, I'm thrilled. I'm finally gonna be able to go on a date with my Mrs and not have him third-wheeling everywhere"
*Laughter*
Everyone laughed. I looked at Elaine and her hand was covering her mouth.
"Nah, I'm kidding. I actually googled the perfect best-man speech for today. It turns out you have to pay to read some examples and I thought to myself 'Ah screw that. I'm just gonna wing it'" Ban said as he threw a piece of card behind him.
"I think I got this role by default as Meliodas doesn't have a lot of friends. I didn't really wanna stand up here and make a fool of myself but I thought today may be the only chance I will ever get a meal and Some drinks paid for by the shortie so I didn't risk turning it down"
Everyone chuckled. Someone clapped.
"As long as he never cooked the food, I'll think we should all be safe. As Best man, I provided everyone with sick bags under their seats. Just to be on the safe side"
"Oh, he is such an ass" Meliodas grinned as he shook his head. The crowd was still laughing.
"When the happy couple found out that I was planning this speech, They asked me not to include, The groom's mishaps, Mistakes or embarrassing moments. Like when we fell into the local duck pond or when we went to America a few years back and got caught in a tornado season and he was hammered, Walked up to it. Drunk as anything and throws the beer at the tornado saying have a drink on me. Did I mention that he was naked?" I heard more laughter.
"This more of a roast than it is a speech and I wasn't naked" Meliodas mumbled. He was still grinning so it can't be that bad.
"Yeah, he was. Though it may have taken x amount of years, Meliodas has finally admitted that I am the best" Ban pulled a superhero move. Which made the crowd howl "We all knew that Meliodas had found the one when he started spending more time with Ellie than he did sulking in his room"
*Giggles*
I giggled as I looked at Meliodas who hid his head on Kiara's shoulder.
"Let's take a minute or two to be actual grown-ups about this I wanna quote a sentence that I found on Pinterest. Marriage isn't about being with someone that you can live with. It's about being with someone that you can't live without. Which is what these two have done. And I want to be the first to wish them a lifetime of happiness and that you will have the two things essential for a long happy marriage. A sense of humour and selective hearing. TO THE HAPPY COUPLE!"
The whole room clapped and cheered as they shout our names. Ban bowed towards the crowd as he walked over to us.